Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told to use 40-50% solution of glyphosate . Now I'm not always good with math but If I'm right I'd be using 1/2 gallon to 1/2 gallon of water? That seems pretty strong (and pretty darned expensive to boot)

or do I have it all backwards. Looking at a bottle of round up (concentrate) it says to mix 2.5 oz/gallon of water. So I'm thinking I must be doing the math wrong.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
If you want 50% than you where doing the math right. I'd be questioning who told you to mix it that stong.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Just a guess but I wonder if you were told to use glyphosate with a chemical concentration of 40-50% rather than a solution (mixed) with 40-50% chemical?

Concentration means that the chemical is of that concentration and not already in solution and ready to use.

If you use too strong of a solution you will simply burn the tops and not get the translocation to kill the entire plant while also wasting money.

By law you must use the product according to label directions.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Thats right, Most of the farm strength glyphosate is a 41% concentrate, the kind you buy at Walmart is I think about 20%. Try to get the 41%, its a lot cheaper. What I do is for grass and weeds mix 2 oz of the 41% to one gal water,for woody brush about 3-4 oz per gal. My 2 cent

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Glyphosate comes in various strengths, a knowing person would tell you to get the high strength (41%) product) as that affords good control and it is the cheaper product ($4.50 per quart in quantity) that typically farmers use. Big box stores sell diluted product to unknowing housewives and the product is more expensive and performs poorly. High concentrations of the high strength glyphosate with water and a surfactant (crop oil) are applied with a wick or wiper type applicator. An application with a spray applicator to a field to give a burn down prior to planting would be at a rate of 1 quart to 20 gallons of water plus a surfactant. In a severe infestation of a difficult to kill plant the rate could be 2 quarts of glyphosate instead of the 1 quart mentioned previously.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dagnabit!! I just got back from wally world and bought a quart of the super concentraate (50%).

Think you are right about the amount they were asking for (some reason I always equate solution with concentrate).

At any rate I'll see what it does and keep a mental note to look for it at other places at a cheaper price :)

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
You want about a quart of the 41% stuff applied per acre. Very often you want 10-15 gallons of water per acre. So you would mix a quart per every 10 gallons, if your sprayer applies 10 gal per acre.

You do _not_ want a 50-50 mix of water & the concentrate.

I assume you are doing a small amount for hand spraying, and don't know the above sprayer rate.

I would follow the label on the concentrate.

You can buy diluted down glyphosate from garden centers, they charge you a whole lot for water. Poor deal.

You can buy good 41% concentrate glyphosate from farm supply centers for about $13 a gallon and mix it properly with water. Good deal.

We were trying to steer you to a good deal. Sorry for the confusion. One jug of glyphosate is not always eaqual to the next, however the weak stuff seems to be priced almost the same.... Trying to help you save a buck. Typically the 41% jugs look more expensive, but will mix up a _lot_ more spray for you and be the better deal.

--->Paul

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate it, just kicking myself for not waiting for a reply before purchase :)

Yes I'm using a small amount (1000 sq ft area) in a little pump up. The bottle I got says 50.xx % glyphosate 49 other (water). But I see now I paid way to much ($40 qt OUCH!!).

I coulda got 3 gallons for what I spent. DOH!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
ive had just the same problem when trying to mix remedy, a herbicide. i wish that they had a list to tell you how many tablespoons per pint, quart, and gallon. i understand that better than mixing the whole container with 150 gallons or something like that.

finally calculated the amount i needed and it worked well. then the paper mixing directions were lost and when i called the company they wouldnt tell me the mixing ratio. it appears that they change the mix on ocassion and couldnt tell me what concentration i had and therefore could not tell me what percentage to mix it. finally found someone who bought from the same place, the same size container and was able to mix correctly. but i learned a valuable lesson... copy the directions on a copier and then put it away somewhere safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts