Solor fence chargers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Michael W. Smith, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of getting a solar fence charger for my goats this Spring. They are across the road from the house and there is no electricity over there. The charger is to keep them off the 5-6' high welded fencing.
    Looking up solar fence chargers on the internet a company called PastureFence.com comes up with a model SS-440 that reads "Solar powered charger for up to 6 miles of fence." Cost is $95.00 which includes shipping.

Anybody have any experience with this company or their chargers. Does anybody have any experience with solar fence chargers both their pros & cons. Thanks.

2. I have nevered owned or used one but last fall I visited a person who showed me his little goat ranch that was located way off from any electricity source and a solar charger is what he was using. I was thinking that he said his cost him around $200. and it worked great cause the place he was using it at he had there for about 2 years and had not lost one goat to predators yet.

3. I guess I should also mention that he had one of those huge sheep guard dogs with them also.

4. Walt K. in SW PA

Walt K. in SW PA Well-Known Member

I've tried a couple solar fence chargers for my goats (though not the brand you mention) with poor results. I figure we just don't get enuff steady sun here in my corner of PA at least, to keep the battery charged up. I've replaced batteries and followed the instructions to the letter, but I gave up and went with a yellow jacket battery job which I am much more pleased with. Whichever way you go , don't skimp on the grounding rods, and good luck.

5. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Well-Known Member

Have you all every seen a solar powered one that also allows a charge from AC? I live in Oregon and 9-10 months out of the year a solar one would work fine but it's those other 2-3 that I'm worried about. I know they have battery back up but I don't think that would be enough. Although I don't know a whole lot about them.
    Any Oregon or Pacific NW using solar? Or anyone else in a dreary state that could advise?

:) Carla

6. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

From what I have read, (now PastureFence didn't list it), but most solar chargers mention that it takes little sun to charge them & keep them charged. One claims to keep working up to like 21 days in total darkness.
    $95.00 seems like a good deal with most chargers going for $150.00 & up. Just wondering if this would be a case of "you get what you pay for"?

7. horselogger

horselogger Well-Known Member

If your idea is to use the fencer as a back up to a good fence,then solar will work. Bear in mind that as the tyemperature drops,solar fencess prove less and less reliable. I don't use them any more,went to a Gallegher battery operated,with a battery,which I take and charge in my truck,Just switch the batteries every 5to 10 days. Batteriess last 4to5 years. Solar fencers,in my case,didn't work but 6 months of the years>Batery works year round and isn't that costly.