Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
WV , hilltop dweller
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have my twice yearly sinus infection and am " down" for the next couple of days until the antibiotics kick in. Thus the extra time at the keyboard.

Given that there are no prep minded neighbors I care to collaborate with and my family are either DGT or too scattered to be much help(more likely to come dragging problems after the SHTF), let's discuss my options. I have preps but only 2 hands and must sleep sometime as well has hope to never be injured or ill. Most of you speak of some help; any of you planning on "going it alone"??

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hi Bee
Maybe social networking is the most important tool we will have to survive. You are going to have to seek out like-minded individuals one way or another.

We bought our homestead a few years back and started asking for volunteer's to help with things like tree planting, cabin construction, and tree felling. For those that have shown up and lent a hand, I have subtly brought up the topic of the homestead becoming a retreat if times got bad. Usually I let them bring up the subject. And I have offered space to anyone whom has shown up to help do some work. These would be my "extra hands" if the SHTF.

I have also tried to develop relationships with my neighbors at our "ranch". I pass reloaded cartridges over the fence to one neighbor, while another gets apple and peach varieties that I grafted myself. Friendships like this will go a long way when things go sour, and you need to know who you can turn your back on. You are just going to have to work on it to build your own community of like minded individuals.
Good luck to you,
Michael

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm single and my nearest relative is 3.5 hrs away. so, depending on the type of SHTF scenario, I'll be going solo.

I also have a different view than many others of what's likely. While I expect severe economic problems and increased general crime, I don't expect to face zombie hordes from the city trying to steal my beans -- i think they'll be camping out at gov't offices and wally world, not going house to house. Expectations makes a big difference in how you prep.

re:sinuses:
I got a sinus infection about 2 yrs ago that lingered for 2 weeks, and had to go to the dr for antibiotics. After that, I decided to get a neti pot (sinus rinse). Seems to work well. I had one time since then that I think might have turned into something worse, but the neti pot seemed to help. (Always hard to tell though.)

here's the comparison I looked at to decide on a stainless steel pot:
http://www.jalanetipot.com/neti_pot_compare.html

i took their recommendation on which stainless steel pot to get, the one
from health & yoga:
http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/product/neti.html

--sgl

·
Five of Seven
3,295 Posts
I don't have anybody preparing nearby(as far as I know), but I've always figured that the vast majority of people will be able to at least figure out a few things if things get bad. You might have to explain it for some of them using small words and simple concepts, but I think most people should be able to smell the coffee when things start going bad. The smartest people(and groups) will be the ones who realize soonest that things have changed and they're on their own, at least for a while, and start getting themselves organized. The "other" people will be sitting around waiting for somebody to come along and rescue them. :bow:

·
D-Idaho, Single
664 Posts
I too am solo in prepping. All my family are in PA. No one in my family preps and I worry about them. I've been talking to my children for over a year to start stocking up, no one listens.
I can everything I grow, I have chickens for eggs and meat. I have stock enough supplies for myself to last 1.5 years, and am still adding to my preps.

One family I attend church with live in an apartment and we get together for canning, they lend me a hand when it comes time for canning and in return I give them produce and eggs. Her husband helps with the tilling.

I also second the neti pot, I am pron for sinus infections, when I feel one coming on I use my neti. Works wonders.

Debbie

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
In a lot of ways, solo survival is actually the easiest. Your food requirements are lower and your physical protection can be more easily assured through hiding. You can easily relocate if needed.

The problems would come from psychological adjustment. What are you surviving for if not for someone else? What are your goals? Just to get through another day? I think it would be hard to keep going like that. You'll have to find something to do to keep yourself going.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
One family I attend church with live in an apartment and we get together for canning, they lend me a hand when it comes time for canning and in return I give them produce and eggs. Her husband helps with the tilling.
Debbie
There's a good way to start. Debbie's suggestion of canning could be one way to get aquainted with like-minded people. Does your local college have a night class on something like canning, preservation, or other DIY skills? I took a class in sausage making at my local college. Perhaps there's a nature organization nearby that does hiking in the local wild areas. You are not likely to find a prepping, or survival club in your area, but people who can, or travel in wild areas may have a similar viewpoint that you can group with. Try joining some groups and seeing if any share similar viewpoints. I wouldn't start talking immediately about TEOTWAWKI, but a little subtle talk might let you know who has goals like yours.
Good luck to you,
Michael

·
WV , hilltop dweller
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My thanks for the replies, Ernie my reason to survive is that there will be SOMEONE who needs my particular set of skills/knowlege in the aftermath even if they are not blood relations of mine. Michael, I have job related time problems with evening classes and am naturally leary of joining groups..been there done that. It always seems to go well at first then most step back and let the active/opinionated few carry the load. After that the group fractures and often splits or heads in divergent directions from the original concepts that got it going. If it sounds like I am down on groups just let me say it was a learned response. And good luck right back at all!!

·
Five of Seven
3,295 Posts
Aside from joining "groups" nothing prevents you from meeting up with other like-minded people to form your own group. The Internet offers some good opportunities to find people interested in the same things you are interested in, and you might find someone who lives nearby who could be helpful if things get bad. If you own land and they live in the middle of a city, the two(or more) of you making a plan to get together if things get bad would benefit both of you. You'd get friends and allies to help with things you need help on, and they'd get a place to go if they needed to leave home.
Of course, before making a plan like that with someone, you should get to know them well enough to trust your life to them. Once you get to know them, they could even stock some supplies at your place.
I've met more than a hundred people through the internet with an interest in survival. Going to campouts together and spending time with people is a good way to get to know them. In fact, I'd say it's the ONLY way to really get to know them.:hobbyhors

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I'm not much of a joiner either, Bee. My association with any sort of group has never ended well. The only question is whether or not it's a short association or a long one. It usually follows a trend ... "That Ernie is a great guy! He really says what he thinks and can get things done!" Sometime later that turns into "You know what that @#$%&@ said to me and what he's going to do??"

·
Registered
665 Posts
Given that there are no prep minded neighbors I care to collaborate with and my family are either DGT or too scattered to be much help(more likely to come dragging problems after the SHTF), let's discuss my options. I have preps but only 2 hands and must sleep sometime as well has hope to never be injured or ill. Most of you speak of some help; any of you planning on "going it alone"??
My situation is very similar and it looks more and more like I may not have any other choice but to go solo. I have been trying for several years to find people that would want to get together and so far it seems like most of the people that had shown any interest are either broke and can't afford to prep or they have medical problems and can't work. These are the LAST people that you would want in your group if TSHTF.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts