Soldiers Angles Org.

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by moopups, May 4, 2004.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    An organization which sends comfort items to our troops overseas for a modest donation. Adopt a soldier program, ect.

http://www.soldiersangels.org

Edited to correct URL, told you I could not spell!

2. mommabear

mommabear Member

Thank you for the seperate thread for this wonderful group.

It is actually

www.soldiersangels.org

;)

What is really cool is you can donate for a box to be sent or you can adopt a Soldier and they give you the name and mailing address upon verifying you're ok. (For their safety and such)

My hubby just retired after 20 yrs in the Navy and not only did I send him boxes, he would give me the names of any folks in his dept not getting mail and I would send them their own personal box. Now we are taking on this project together.

Big hits are: (Suggestions from experience) Jerky, hard candy, personal hygiene items, a cheap pack of note cards so they can send them to their families. Ohhhh and Walmart has these wonderful 6 x 6 inch battery operated fans with foam type blades that can be hung on a bunk by even string, 4 D batteries last up to 100 hours, so can last like 10 or more nights. They really work good and put out a breeze that is worth it. They were a big hit on hubbys ship, so I am sending them over with a 2- 8 pks of batteries. I get those zip ties and include them so they can mount it on or near a bunk.
    And due to foods starting to all taste the same and a far vry from home cooked meals, spices and steak sauces are a huge hit, everytime hubby got a box of those I sent folks were hounding and begging him to share :worship:
    When a holiday is a couple months away a pack or box of greeting cards, imagine how surprised their family will be they had some to send :eek:

When sending something make sure you remember the heat and the time it will take to get there so Chocolate is a no no

I make the cooling scarfs from polymer crystals in desert cammie fabric, you soak in water and tie around your neck to cool you off.
    Word search and crossword books and don't forget to include the pens.

These are just some ideas if anyone wanted to do this.
    PS If you do send a small bottle of steak sauce or spices, bag, then wrap in bubble wrap and bag a second time to prevent breakage and spilling which will result in it being returned undeliverable.

Packets of instant coffee, powdered kool-aid and lemon aid were hits.

3. Terry - NW Ohio

Terry - NW Ohio Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing this site :) . It's sad how all the support through letters, etc., starts to dwindle after they have been gone for a long time, even for the ones that do have family and friends that could write :confused: . I just cry sometimes when I think of how lonely and homesick they must get!!

4. mommabear

mommabear Member

Glad you mention this Terry, not to sound like a sob story but many don't get mail even from their own relatives. Had hubby and I not been married (we've only been married not even 3 years yet and he was gone nearly 70% of the time) he would of been 100% on his own. His 3 brothers and sister and father NEVER sent anything. His deployment last year was 8 1/2 months. He left in Jan for what was to be a one month thing and the ship showed over 8 months later in Sept. :eek:

His prior 6 month deployment which was during the 911 time he got one card from one brother and one letter from the other brother in 6 whole months.

Many men and woman don't even hear from their own families :waa:
    I mean not only is this a loved on but a loved one defending the country and his/hers families freedom.

I like the Soldiers Angels motto
    May no Soldier go unloved

Some are reservist whose families have taked a pay cut when they were activated and others come home to having lost their jobs which is I believe illegal but still happens.

5. mtfarmchick

mtfarmchick Well-Known Member

Another site is adoptaplatoon.org . You sign up to support a soldier through the duration of their deployment and send one letter/week and one carepackage/month. I've been doing it for a little over a year and really love it. I have 2 soldiers right now. I just got them a month ago and haven't heard back from them yet.

6. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I just went to www.soldiersangels.org and sent an email to a soldier through OperationDearAbby.net and sighned up with SoldiersAngels.org to adopt a soldier. My neighbor came home and I needed another soldier to adopt. Thanks so much Moopups for the link.

Fla Gal