Sold!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Oct 27, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

For all those who have offered advice and support re: the selling of a house I co-own ...

*drumroll* I am here to report that, this afternoon, the necessary paperwork was signed for the sale of the house. $1,500 under what we actually wanted ... but buyer is buying totally AS IS (even though it needs some piers and, oh dear, the water heater (a huge one) is going on how old now? and oh no! whar happened to all the phone lines? and ... ).

The house sold in a little over 3 weeks of being put on the market, despite it being a buyers' market, despite the fact that, out of 700 houses put on the market in that price range, less than 60 have sold in the past year, despite the fact that houses everywhere are going on sale at bargain basement prices in that city, despite a staggering economy there and lots of laid off people, despite ad infinitum.

It sold. Not quite 3 weeks after being put on the market.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Whew. :D Huge thanks to all of you for awesome advice and support! ::thumbsup!::

Now to go find someone to help me fix the fencves around here --- a task which has been horribly neglected, thanks to the diversion of my attention from here to the pesky house which just sold! :D

2. dmp437

dmp437 Member

Congradulations! It's a tough market for sellers right now.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Bout time for a good diesel tractor with frontend loader , posthole digger , and brush hog . Then, you need to signup for some welding classes , a good used 4x4 truck with tongue pull trailer for hauling firewood, etc . You might have to remove some of those "r"'s until you can learn the basics.....fordy... :eek: :)

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:eek: :eek:

:D

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

:dance: :haha: :dance: :haha: :dance: :haha: When do you close?

6. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I'm so happy that you sold your house. I know you're even happier.

You received lots of great advice. Since the water heater and phone lines were less than perfect, what do you attribute to the sale of your house? Maybe we need advice from you. ;)

7. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Cyngbaeld, the closing date is Nov 24? 26?? :confused: I can't remember. It almost doesn't matter --- the house has been a major drama in my life for over a year now, and just the signing of the paper has been a HUGE relief. Boy am i glad that's over!

Daybird, I think it was Marlene S. who told me that most houses sell in the first thirty days --- she also gave me some very basic and practical advice, as did a lot of other people, concerning cleanliness, what to fix and what to ignore. We actually delayed putting it on the market for two weeks so we could spit polish, etc --- as I live 2 hours away each way :rolleyes: , it was kind of an ordeal. But I'm pretty sure that's what paid off. In essence, the day it went on the market, we hit the floor running, although we didn't do nearly everything we wanted to.

We were also willing to negotiate and didn't take the first offer (which was much too low) personally. In fact, apparently the buyer has been going around lowballing all over the place, according to the agent, and everyone else has gotten into a huff about it. :haha: But our realtors were very clear with us --- the worst thing we could do with any of it is take it personally and get in a snit. So we just ... counteroffered way over what he originally offered, which according to his agent, shocked him because apparently everyone else has just told him to take a hike. :haha: And it worked.

I'm glad we did --- true, one house a few doors down just sold for double what we just sold for :eek: , but its owner apparently went in there, gutted the place and has spent the past 2-3 years completely rebuilding inside. We didn't do that. AND all the other *for sale* houses in that area (and there's a lot of them) have just been sitting ... and sitting ... and sitting ... and sitting.

In any case, I'm glad it's over. :D Well, almost over.

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Hopefully it will close smoothly. I hope mine will too. We haven't set a closing date, but I have a very anxious buyer.

9. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Yea-a-a-a-a-a!!!

I know how happy you must feel about the sale. Old adage from old Realtor: "Don't spend the money until you deposit the check"

That said, I agree with Fordy about the tractor. What I wouldn't give for a tiny little tractor with a front end loader!! I read that advice in one of the magazines many years ago, and was never able to get one. The second thing I would get would be a large pick-up with helper springs, and a trailer for hauling stuff to and fro. The delivery charges you save would pay for the thing in a few years, and you would have more freedom to take advantage of neat stuff you see around. How many fields have you driven by that have tired old spoiled hay bales, or piles of leaves, or free municipal compost, etc.

Again, congratulations--Now let us all pray for world peace!

Sandi

10. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Believe me I know the relief you feel! I sold the old place a few weeks before one of the hurricanes destroyed that neighborhood (there were about a dozen skyscraper sized ancient oak trees over the mobile home that was too old to qualify for insurance. I've been on my knees daily since then thanking Him for watching out for me).

You'll find you sleep much better now and the sun seems a bit brighter each day!

11. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Yes. Last night, I went out like a light and slept for almost 10 hours. :eek: Solid, deep sleep. First time in months.

I am VERY glad to be almost out of the place.

And Sandi, I have a running list of things I need and things which need to be done --- my refrigerator has gone on the blink, eg, I have GOT to repair these fences!, etc. --- but most of the money is going to be put very far out of immediate reach. And not a cent will be spent til I actually get the money, deposit the money, know the money is actually deposited (all holds off) and get 75% of it moved into a safe, hard to get to place. :yeeha: