Sold my first Homebred Milking does today...a little sad.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Shazza, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

I sold two of my first lactation does today....Prudence and Priscilla, Toggenburgs. They kidded a few weeks ago and are perfect angels on the milking stand. I sold them to a lovely family who have the same as us, 6 children, only she homeschools all 6....13 yrs and under. It will be the children that will be milking the does. So it was a bit sad watching my girls going off in the back of their van tonight...my first Toggie kids...they were triplets and I have kept Peggy Sue. I have been milking 7 does collecting about 14 litres of milk in the morning and about 7 litres at night....and boy it is exhausting milking that many considering I was only milking 2 last year. So it will be good to get down to 5 now. They also bought Prudences twin doe babies.
    Do y'll sell your does as kids or goatlings or milkers? My plan from when they were born was to run them on, get them in milk and then decide which one to keep....so for me to actually stick to a plan is very good.
    Cheers

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I am facing same dillema this coming Spring.

I have 6 does that will be bred to my registered Nubian buck and Lord knows I cant keep them all----hay has gotten very expensive!

I'm hoping to sell families in the Spring but which families to sell is SOOOOO very hard to choose. One will be 8 yo, one only milks on one side at 4yo in Spring and wont raise her own babies but she is very dear to me, Hope, Faith and Daisy will be our first timers and they were born to us and very bonded w/ my children and Paint is the most beatiful Nubian but she is needy and we call her the "Stupid Star". I will have some heart mending to do when I do sell! :Bawling:

But I REALLY want a milk cow and 2 milking goats....to fatten calves and pigs on , Summer type projects.

3. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I sympathize with you guys. It is hard to choose who goes and who stays. They all just become such a part of our families.

Congrats Shazza...you met your goal..and that is always a wonderful thing to experience!!

4. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

I'm just curious how much it costs to feed goats in China and Australia. I don't mean to be nosey or anything. I was just interested cuz, I know hay is so plentiful here, if it is there too because of climate differences or what not. I am so culturelly(sp) deprived.

5. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

The hidden underbelly of the goatworld - the part of goat ownership no one tells you about ahead of time - the part I was the least prepared to face.........SELLING the dear, sweet creatures! They are just so doggone fertile.

Sometimes you just have to be ruthless. Isn't it awful? I hate this part too. I have to have very clear limits for myself - and stick with them, or this goat thing can get waaaaay out of hand, very quickly! That said - the OTHER, other dark side of the goat world is all the other farm animals that get displaced in order for there to be room for 'more goats'.......;)

niki

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

China, Maine USA and plentiful hay...$3 a bale out of the field for top quality :shrug: sorry to mislead...I'm quite sure farmers in China would not have internet access and the college students who do have it are only doing so with their Chinese Big Brother watching intently... :nono:

7. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I'm sure it was very sad for you, but it sounds like your girls went to a good home - and that's the important part!

I haven't sold any of mine yet, but I'm going to be putting some up for sale soon. One of my Nigerians is definitely going after she kids and weans them - and I won't be sorry. She beat up another little goat (for the second time) badly enough that I thought I was going to lose her. She's OK now, thank goodness, and in a pen with "nice" goats. :) Then I've got a couple of little wethers to go when they're weaned in a few weeks, and maybe their mother. I have a nice Saanen buckling that I will use to breed my Nubian cross and Alpine yearling in a couple of months, then I have to decide what to do with him. I also have his mother and sister to breed (next year for the doeling), so it's not much use keeping a buck for only 50% of my herd. He's a sweet-natured little guy and quite well-bred so I don't want to see him go for meat. :shrug:

8. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

The first one I sold was Clovis, twin brother to his sister Cinnamon. When we put him the the car, he kept screaming Mama. His mother, Libby, was going crazy trying to get out of the barn wo get to him. She was angry with me for a week. She wouldn't look at me, wouldn't talk to me, wouldn't even accept treats from me. I cried like a baby. I telling DH (at the time), Libby hates me. She got over it and so did I. The next one of her bucklings to go, Nestor, she didn't even look up from the hay she was munching. He was such a clingy baby, I think she was happy be rid of him.