Solar water pumps & archive

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wy0mn, Apr 13, 2005.

1. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

1)I'd really love to hear from someone who currently HAS and USES a solar water pump. I want the full review, the pro & con from someone who knows. Why did you choose the make/model you chose? What would you do different?
    2)Has anyone figured out how to use the blasted archives? The most user unfriendly piece of software I've seen in along time...

2. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

I use a SHURFLO 9300 ( http://www.backwoodssolar.com/Catalogpages2/pumps2.htm#DC SUBMERSIBLE WELL PUMP ) . I've used it for two years now. The only problems I've had have been self induced. The "long pole in the tent" is the depth of your water. This pump is only good to 230 feet. Mine pumps about a gallon a minute. If I had it to do over again, I might go with a wind mill.

3. wy0mn

Thanks a bunch!
    I worded my request to weed out the 'know-it-all's'.
    I wanted to speak with someone like you. Reviews and datasheets I can SEARCH on my own.
    I'm afraid that a pumping windmill might freeze up where I want it. A submergible something would prob be better.
    Thanks again.
    Lex

4. copperhead51

Sure.... there are a lot of armchair homesteaders and survivalists out there. Would be happy to answer any questions you have.

5. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi Copperhead;
    I've been interested in solar power for many years. I've been to the commercial website and I just don't understand. Can you refer me to a website that explains solar power in basic terms?
    Thanks;
    tamilee

6. copperhead51

Call or email Backwoods Solar www.backwoodssolar.com for their catalog. It has a lot of info in it. I don't agree with their humanist philosophy; however, they have excellent explanations and worksheets in the catalog.

7. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Yep, lots of people. There's a wealth of information in there - it's worth digging out.

The original forum was hosted on Greenspun, and Phil Greenspun developed some of the first forum software a long time ago. Sure, people learnt a lot more over the next ten years or so, but it was actually very user-friendly at low volumes. Problem was volumes grew way beyond anything ever envisaged when the software was instituted.

Two things to make it easier.

One is to somehow get into the right forum/sub-division, then use your browser's search capability (up near the top left of the screen, "Edit", "Find", put in the single word you want to find, hope people put that in the heading for their thread. They mostly did, and it worked pretty well.

Second is to search using Google. Go to http://www.google.com , select "Advanced Search", put in your search words or phrases with your selected options, but also select to search Domain, and put "homesteadingtoday.com" into the domain box for the search.

8. wy0mn

Thank you Don.
    I'll COPY & PASTE your advice to a .doc so I can print it, and continue my studies.
    Current house is on the market!!! Down to the wire now, just a few loose ends left in planning my self sufficient future.
    Lex

9. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi Copperhead51;
    Thanks for the info. FINALLY, a website about solar energy that even I can understand!
    Have a blessed day!
    tamilee

10. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure we had a sureflo (dont remember the number but it was about $800, I think) It went out while under warrantee. WE sent it in and they sent a message back that it had a bit of mud in it and that vioded the warrantee and that they would fix it for several hundred $$$

At that point, we went to the grid.

WE pumped into an above ground cystern during daylight hours. then we used a $25 electric pump into the house. There is a lot to be desired... like when a family of 9 uses up the water and have about 3 days of overcast, or worse... or when the tank freezes... also the water pressure was pretty low for us... we got a camping shower nozzle to install on our shower...that at least enabled us girls to wash the shampoo out of our hair. hmmm.... we still have that nozzle on our shower... Occasionally, we have a child in the hospital... I love the showers in the parents quarters :) Maybe I should change that shower head back to normal peoples shwer head again...

I dont mind roughing it. WE had a sawdust toilet for years... the water situation wasnt optimal though... I am enjoying better now...