Homesteading Forum banner

Solar Tubes

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  mreynolds 
#1 ·
Does anyone have experience with solar tube skylights?

We had a solar tube put in the bathroom when we built the house. We are now having a moisture issue. Every few days we are having to empty water out of the cover at the ceiling. All summer it has been fine, no issues even in a driving rainstorm so I'm fairly certain that the issue is not from leaking at the roof. Now that the colder weather is starting in, we are getting moisture so I believe that it is a condensation issue in the metal tube that runs from the bathroom ceiling through the attic and to the roof. We have blown in cellulose insulation in the attic.

My thought is that the problem is coming from warm air leaking up into the tube, hitting the cold metal above the insulation and then condensing. I was thinking that if I put some sort of silicone gasket between the cover at the ceiling level and the tube that it would stop the air leak and fix the problem. Does that seem right to you construction experts?

Has anyone had this problem and fixed it or is this going to be an ongoing problem every winter?

#2 ·
Will be watching your thread as I want to install a solar tube in my kitchen/eating area. I've liked them for years.
I live in GA. wonder if location makes a difference?

#6 ·
That would have to be a job for someone considerably younger, skinnier and more flexible than I am. I'm not sure I could pull myself through that little access panel. The only one I can think of who would be skinny and agile enough to do it would be our younger son and he's a klutz. He'd fall through the ceiling within a minute, guaranteed.

#5 ·
Does anyone have experience with solar tube skylights?

We had a solar tube put in the bathroom when we built the house. We are now having a moisture issue. Every few days we are having to empty water out of the cover at the ceiling. All summer it has been fine, no issues even in a driving rainstorm so I'm fairly certain that the issue is not from leaking at the roof. Now that the colder weather is starting in, we are getting moisture so I believe that it is a condensation issue in the metal tube that runs from the bathroom ceiling through the attic and to the roof. We have blown in cellulose insulation in the attic.

My thought is that the problem is coming from warm air leaking up into the tube, hitting the cold metal above the insulation and then condensing. I was thinking that if I put some sort of silicone gasket between the cover at the ceiling level and the tube that it would stop the air leak and fix the problem. Does that seem right to you construction experts?

Has anyone had this problem and fixed it or is this going to be an ongoing problem every winter?
I put one in, 10 incher I think. Cut a hole in the roof..Cut a hole in the suspended ceiling in the bathroom.

Made sure the roof boot under the plastic dome was secure. No problems...except over the years there

is one floor tile that has lost its color where the sun shines on it.

#7 ·
Solar tubes are weather-proof and can withstand any contact with any external elements such as rainfall, humidity, intense sunlight, snow, insects, or birds. The exterior part, the dome, is lined with a modified acrylic that grants the lighting system its durability.
Also, any buildup of debris and water is negated by the dome's small and flat nature. You won't have to worry about any water leaking from your roof into your house's ceiling.

#9 ·
I realize this is an older post, but our old house had two solar tubes in the kitchen that were installed by a previous owner in sometime in the 90's. They were wonderful for letting in light - I often walked in there and prepared to yell at people for leaving the lights on before I realized it was just the tubes - and we never had any problems with leaking in the decade we owned the place.

We liked them so much we're considering installing some in the dark part of our kitchen at our new place. I really can't think of anything negative to say about my experience.

#10 ·
I've been thinking of ways to put in solar tubes without creating too much heat loss. It would be a great way to highlight a large aquarium. I've been having trouble finding glue to connect mylar to most other surfaces.

I was thinking that a person could make a plywood tubes and line them with mylar. The tubes could be built in a U-shape to act as a barrier to the cold air outside.

#11 ·
It is essential to consider that installing solar tube lights can vary from one model to another. In short, it’s not a one-size-fits-all rule. Many distinct designs only fit asphalt shingle pitched roofs while others are meant for flat roofs.
It is strongly suggested that you pick the suitable light according to the type of roof your house is built with.

#13 ·
I’m sure you could insulate the tube ?
I’ve never put one in , I would call the Company and see how to handle the situation
it seams like I remember reading some where that there was a out side tube that you needed to buy for insulation .
I’m a builder and have done 1000 of sky lites and never have any leaks
I’m sure I have fixed 100s of leaky sky lites 🤗

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.