Solar roof with lifetime warranty

Discussion in 'Alternative Energy' started by fishhead, May 11, 2017.

1. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

2. jwal10

jwal10 Well-Known Member Supporter

He thinks he is too big to fail but when he does, who is going to cover that warranty. .gov baliout written all over that mess. I like his thinking but I don't see that being sustainable....James

3. Steve_S

Steve_S Well-Known Member

JWal one might & likely should consider Elon Musk as the Howard Hughes of the early 21st century... At least while being a visionary he's not as nuts as ol' Howie was....

BTW: Solar Shingles are not new... Corning stopped making theirs but other's make them as well BUT this is an area that will heat up now as the tech is actually "getting there".

More Goodies coming down the pipe... Remember when something is new it costs more (remember that $2,000 Betamax ?)

Solar window blinds both block and harvest sunlight
    http://newatlas.com/solargaps-solar-window-blinds/49488/

4. jwal10

jwal10 Well-Known Member Supporter

I was talking about the warranty being sustainable. I have no problem with what he is doing. Sears had a great warranty but it isn't as good anymore. Even though I bought mine under the old warranty, they will/do not honor it. Competition and profit got tighter in this latest greatest, buy cheap society. But who suffers?

....James

5. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

They've done some serious testing so I would guess that he knows what it means to issue a lifetime warranty.

6. StL.Ed

StL.Ed Well-Known Member

Maybe cheaper than conventional roof solar systems, or high-end roofs? Or maybe after a 30 year payback on electricity generation? Initial installation sounds a lot higher than conventional roofs.
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/10/15612410/tesla-preorder-solar-roof-square-foot-elon-musk

7. Murby

Murby Well-Known Member

The warranty is not really to infinity.. Only integrity of the tile.. The power generation is only 30 years and its probably pro-rated even then.
    And I'll make a few assumptions on top of this.. I bet the warranty is not transferable, does not cover cost of labor, and probably does not cover acts of god as it goes. So if a tree falls on your roof, you're out of luck.. (I would assume)..

Should be interesting to see how things go over the next couple years with this.. I like Musk.. a lot.. he's a good guy.

8. chaossmurf

chaossmurf Well-Known Member

well the main problem ive had with the design of my dreamhouse was --what type materials to build the actual roof with that would outlast the solar panels slightly --- because itd suck to have to have them all pulled off to put on a new roof then reattacked to the new roof & id rather have the panels output diminishing past their 30 year benchmark

so I guess the panels being the actual roof itself is the answer --ironically I had thought of a design where the solar panels were the actual roof already & had figured on just stuffing some insulation beneath them --but the mounting system was where I was having serious mental breakdown & this roofing would eliminate that issue I guess

as for that huge cost --guess its where a bank loan comes into the picture :( & pay it off over many many many years

9. Murby

Murby Well-Known Member

Steel roofs can be had with 50 year warranties..

fishhead likes this.
  10. Fishindude

Fishindude Well-Known Member Supporter

Saw this article a while ago. At this point, I think it's all pretty much a sales pitch and they've not actually put much of this stuff on the market. No way will this stuff be anywhere near competitively priced with standard shingle roofing, nor will it last as long as a high quality metal roof.

I wouldn't want a solar system on my roof either. Too many added penetrations and issues that could lead to roof leaks. One of the biggest challenges with solar panels is that the manufacturers do not know how long they are going to last and perform effectively.