solar powered elctric fence charger's , do they work well ?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Old Oaks, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Old Oaks

Old Oaks New Member

2. lizmont2000

lizmont2000 Active Member

Ours works extremely well. We got the 3-mile one at Tractor Supply.
    We have it about 40" high and the buck has learned to respect it.
    Best of luck!
    Liz

3. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

We also got our solar one at TSC. Works great. We're using it on the billy and his boy. We've got two wires one at about 2 feet and the other at 3 feet. Solar is the way to go if you don't have an electric hook up. Our main barn with the girls uses electric as the battery was too much of a pain - we had to keep recharging it.

4. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Ours works well, except in the dead of winter when the ground is too frozen. But the goats generally know to stay away from it, so that helps, and we also use wire mesh to back it up.

5. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

If this is an issue of the frozen earth not being a good enough conductor back to the ground rods on your charger... just run a ground wire around with the hot ones - just keep them separate by about 3-4". I do this on all my fences so I don't have to worry during dry spells or freezing. The pop that animals get from touching a hot wire at the same time as a grounded wire is significantly stronger that a ground through the earth. Our goats won't get within 3 feet of my fences.