Solar panel question!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Countrybumpkin, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

I bought one of those 9W solar panels off ebay to charge the batteries I use to run the wood furnace fans in a power outage...now, my question-the fans are 6 amp 120V fans, so I'm guessing that it won't do squat in keeping up the batteries while the fans are running, but will it do good to recharge the battereis in a fair amount of time? The inverter does use much juice,but I know there is to be some loss converting the voltages...

2. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Simple arithmetic says those fans are 720 watts or about 1 horse power.

So, ignoring losses for every hour of running the fans you would need 80 hours of sunshine charging.

However, with various losses you may need three or even more times that.

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

I think those panels you are talking about are not for charging batteries but used for keeping batteries topped up in long term storage or times of minimum use. I have them and use them on both my car and truck which don't get driven every day. Basically they replace storage losses not power being used.

Not really meant to charge batteries and replace power being used on a regular basis. Used to replace the battery internal losses if it sits for long periods.

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Now, if you buy another 99 of them & hook them all together... ;)

--->Paul

5. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

Well, thanks all for answering! I guess if I drag the battery charger out, charge the batts up, then use the panel to keep everything topped off, I'll be ready for an outage! Wish I'd asked here first, though... :(