solar ovens

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by michelleIL, Sep 29, 2004.

1. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

Anyone have a website where you can learn to make them? I was never related to any boy scouts! Have never even attempted. Thanks!
    Michelle

2. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

and how do they work, if at all, in winter when it gets to twenties and thirties or below?

3. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Um ok i entered a search for winter months and hit an interesting link that was read that cooking times where less in winter.Im sure it says more about it in there.Very good site here.Read about using it for a frig. at night. :cool:

http://www.solarcooking.org/funnel.htm

Think ill add this one to my favorites and read up some more on this later.Thanks for bringing it up i had read about them while searching for survival skills a while back.But never played with it before.I might try it out sometime just to see for myself.Planing a 2day to a week survival trip soon with my son.2days if we get hungry 1week if i read up enough. :D

5. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

Wow, thanks for the link. I read it over and it sounds really cool! I would love to try it if I had time or nessessity. (sp?)
    I like how you can make things cold at night. Good for hunting trips or camping trips!

6. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

ive used the windshield reflector type cooker, with good results in northern wisconsin, but yes it did take a bit longer to cook

the box cookers would work better in cold weather i would think , since they hold the heat more than reflect ....

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I used an excellent, well insulated, commercial solar cooker for several years in colorado. It works very well in the summer time. As the ambient temps dropped, the cooker temps also dropped. I tried a few times to use it when the weather was chilly, but it really didn't work then. Of course, by then I was needing a fire to keep warm, so I just switched to cooking on the wood stove or my popane camp stove.

The solar oven was really great to use when I didn't want to heat the house.

The box cookers work by heating the air around the food. Just like a reg oven.

A parabolic type of cooker, that focuses rays directly onto a black pot or the food itself, shouldn't be affected so dramatically by colder temps.

9. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member