solar lighting

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BlessedMom, Oct 11, 2004.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Currently we are using a propane latern for our goat barn. We will not be able to run electric to the barn before winter hits. I'm a bit nervous about the whole propane thing in the barn anyhow. Especially with my children.

I found this thread:

http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=58721

It talked about a solar light. I looked and it is out of stock. Anyone know where I could get a good but inexpensive solar light? Right now it is dark when we milk.
    Unless I learn to milk in the dark I am going to have some problems. The light listed was only $55.

Thanks!

BlessedMom

2. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I just posted what we did on the other thread you linked to.

If you can't picture it, let me know and I'll take a picture of it. Reese

3. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

absolutely, go to your local walmart or home store , and get some of the solar landscaping lights, take off the plastic housing, if they have them , and charge them outside during the day , bring them inside at night and in the early morning for milking light 1
    a set of solar landscape lights should run about 30-55,right in your budget!
    from lowes.com....

Malibu 4 Light Metal 3 Tier Solar Walk Light $39.96

Intermatic 10 Pack Malibu Crystal Tier Solar Light $58.00

there you go :D

4. BlessedMom

We actually have these lights near the front of our house. They are worthless. other than I can see where the curb is, they don't give off enough light. They are also not very durable. I need something a little brighter and a little sturdier. I also don't want to have to stick them in the ground. After all they will be in the goat barn...with goats. :) I just KNOW they will try to eat them. I need something to mount on a wall that will come on automatically at dusk. These might actually work for the chicken coop though!!

Thanks,
    BlessedMom

5. aaatraker

aaatraker Well-Known Member

There was a thread 1-2 months ago, about using dc lights and a jump start battery for this purpose. buy the lights at walmart or rv supply center buy the battery at walmart, the battery comes with a fused outlet and charger built in. you would have to carry it back and forth from the house for charging, its not that heavy.

This might work, and the cost was under 100.00 I think, if you can't find the solar light you want

kurt

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

7. syringaweb

syringaweb Well-Known Member

Blessed mom,
    I posted on the link you gave, instead of this thread..

Here's what I suggested: northerntool.com

8. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

This is a good solar charging application, provided your light usage isn't excessive. A small inexpensive solar panel can keep your battery charged. Here is an example of a 12v solar charging panel at ebay for about $20:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41981&item=5926055745&rd=1

9. Eric in TN

Eric in TN Member

go to www.northerntool.com and do a search on "solar light" or item # 336614 - solar "shed light" for $40. Am thinking about getting one or two for the barn myself.

10. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Some lights use the batteries out of cordless drills. Perhaps this would work. Charge fast and lite to carry.

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Lighting is probably solar cells best use on the homestead,cost vrs benefit.Works lights on my MH really well.
    BooBoo

12. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

Propane - hey that's pretty uptown.

Did everybody forget about the generations of people (including me as a young child) that accomplished their pre-dawn chores aided by the light of a kerosene lantern?

Most of us even managed to get the job done without burning the barn down!

Have we gone "safety nutty", or what?

13. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

How far away is the barn , maybe a drop cord would work till you could do something permanent. You could just unplug it when not in use.

14. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Well Bob, I for one don't want to have the smell or fear of slipping and dropping the lantern that could burn a place down. I also have no desire to store fuel.We all determine our risks.

Check out RealGoods.com as they used to have a dusk to dawn light that had a longish cord to the solar charger that could go outside with the light inside your barn. Not real cheap, but it works well.

Find a solar lantern here: http://www.etaengineering.com/lighting/lanterns.shtml

Also, you might consider an LED lantern from campmor.com or sierratradingpost.com that can use rechargeable batteries for about $40. Get a solar battery recharger (about $20) from campmor.com and you are all set for portable light.

15. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Check harbor freight as well. I bought a 5 watt panel for $30 that is big enough to keep a charge on an auto battery and run several 12 volt lights. While there are whole host of 12 volt fixtures available on the market, you could make and rig your own from an auto junk pile.

16. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Are you looking to light up the barn all night?(Are your goats afraid of the dark?)
    Or just for milking/feeding?
    Gobug has the answer. A 12v battery and junkyard lights should do the job.
    How long you need the lights on would determine how you charge it.
    A 5w solar charger should work it if you only need light for a 1/2 hr. or so.

17. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I forgot about that,we met some hiker/campers using one to charge 4 double AA cells,he said it would charge fully in a day,dont remember what type though,but still a very good idea.
    BooBoo

18. BlessedMom

LOL...no, our goats are not afraid of the dark. I just can't see in there when it gets past 4:30p.m! With my luck my goat will kid at 1:00 a.m. in February.
    I need something that will be appropriate for milking. Probably about an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. Sometimes more if we have a project needing to get done. It seems during the winter we have very few daylight hours!

Right now we have a cord run to the chicken coop for the heatlamp and additional light. Running an additional one to the goat barn is not possible. Plus the idea of saving some electric cash would be great!

BlessedMom