SOLAR Here's a kit under $900 bucks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

We have discussed small solar start ups here is one company's idea of a cabin / start up set-up.

http://www.partsonsale.com/rvspecial.html

For $849 Is it a bargain. I don't know 12V man might chime in and tell us.

I would imagine you could add solar panels as the money came available. Making it expandable.

Kenneth in NC

2. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Wow....that does sound good. Has anyone checked them out before??

Does that mean I can just put this thing up, and I can plug in up to 3 things?

I don't know a THING about solor, can you tell? But I just bought 112 acres that is pretty remote and I'd like to put a cabin up.

3. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

My husband is a licensed electrician and is a whiz at all things electrical (other electircians call him when they need trouble-shooting help to find problems and he ALWAYS find sthe problem!!!) but I can't get him interested in solar power!!!!

I've tried showing him articles and all that. I KNOW he could build a whole simple system if I could just get him motivated! Any suggestions????

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I can't help but think of Lisa Douglas on Green Acres and how she had numbers on her outlets and had to unplug one before she could plug in another.

5. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I googled the parts separately without shopping for the lowest

panel 539$
    Inverter 109$
    Controler 70$

Total 718$

mikell

6. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

mikell did the panel you goggled have the heavy mounting base, frame and brackets?
    I can't be sure but around here controllers usually run $80-100 but I have seen the inverters for low as $129 for a 1000 watt. It also cost a bit more for true sine wave inverters.

All in all $849 is still cheaper than the Honda Generator we looked at ($1429)

There are probably better deals afoot but this one caught my eye because it was a all-together kit. :D

7. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

Oooh, I'm interested. But it's a modified sine inverter and I thought those were less than good.

I'm in the city and closing on my first house this week (YAY) but I'd like to get started learning about solar. Would this be a good package to start with? I'd like something that I can easily add on to. I'm concerned that the modified sine inverter would be quickly outdated for me. I have no idea what appliances I'd run on a system. Originally I was thinking to install a pond and use a small solar panel to run the pump. But setting up a grid-tie system might be an idea as well.

Any suggestions?

Beaux

8. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

One thing to think about with this. You still need to buy batteries and associated cables, etc. I don't really see this a good price for someone that has a little knowledge about solar. It would be for someone that doesn't understand solar as long as there are clear hookup instructions.

All the componants can be picked up for less, just need to do a little research into what you want and what works togather. My present system is 150 watts and I put it together for under $850 and that includes the batteries.

9. cc-rider

"All the componants can be picked up for less, just need to do a little research into what you want and what works togather. My present system is 150 watts and I put it together for under $850 and that includes the batteries."

What size is this one? I guess I know LESS than nothing about solar, so maybe I need to go with a "plug and play" version like this?

Unless WV-White-Wolf wants to put another system together and sell it to me! :help:

10. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

120 watt panel. Mine has 3-51 watt panels. I'm not a tech. writer so you'd probably have touble with my instructions (my downfall, not yours). Most of my components came off ebay and everything was new. The only major item that didn't was the batteries. Just to expensive to ship them.

Before I did this one I experimented with a couple of smaller setups just for the learning experience.

I am working on another system to water an orchard that we hope to start next spring. It'll use 2-50 watt panels, a surflow 9300 12 volt pump, and a charge/load controller that was intended for controlling lighting. Using that controller I should be able to have it water every evening for a predetermined amount of time.

11. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I didn't really shop I just googled and the first hit that sounded close I listed.I suggest anybody who actually wants to go solar GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE READ READ READ and READ some more.Have fun it's FRIDAYYYYYY!

mikell

12. cc-rider

Good point. Can you, or anyone, suggest a REALLY, I mean REALLLLLLLLY, easy to understand book for dummies on solar? I'm absolutely clueless, but I'd like to learn.

I have my 2-meter license, so I'm not a COMPLETE idiot when it comes to understanding stuff like that..... just solar is something totally new to me.

Chris

13. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i cant imagine why he dosent want solor what are you trying to do put the guy out of work :D

14. Stillponds

Stillponds Active Member

Here is the payback for investing in this solar power unit:
    Cost of unit referenced: 900 (not including batteries)
    12 hours of sunlight at 150 watts = 1.8kw (not figuring losses)
    1.8kw bought from power co. at 8 cents per kw = 12 cents.
    Saving 12 cents per day takes more than 20 years to pay back the $900 investment.

Solar panels gradually degrade, batteries gradually degrade and controlling components eventually fail. The only time solar makes sense is if nothing else is available, and if power is only needed for short periods each day a generator is more practical than solar.

This solar unit would be capable of powering a 75 watt light bulb 24 hours per day if the sun shone every day for 12 hours and the unit was 100% efficient.

15. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Your math is off, While your electic is 12c/kw. Your dont pay that your going to pay a lot more per KW when you figure in the delivery cost and all the fee's that get added in. Want a true KW cost. Take your total electic bill and divide by KW used. THATS the real rate for comparison.

16. cc-rider

I just paid my electric bill. I paid $59.73 for 853 KW. That makes it 7cents a KW? TOTAL. Is that a really good deal?? Seems like my math must be off somewhere, too!

17. jgbndaudio

jgbndaudio Well-Known Member

Hello,

Maybe for you solar doesn't make sense because you pay such a low price for each KWH.

However for me it makes a lot of sense for two reasons.
    First, I have a propane, hot water baseboard heating system. The only part of the system that uses electricity is the circulator. Last winter we lost power for about five days at one point, and had some other 1/2 - 2 day outages. Although my house is very well insulated, needless to say it ended up getting very cold inside on a few of the longer outages.

This year that won't happen because I bought myself the componets to have single panel system that will provide about two weeks power to the cirulator w/o any sun.

The total cost for this system was 934.07.
    I pay on avg. $.17/khw. That means I'll have to save 5495 Kwhs at this avg. price to pay for the system. I measured the electric use of the circulator at roughly 52.4 kwh/per month. ($8.91/month) So that means in about 105 months the system will pay for itself. Since we heat only about 7 months of a year here, that equals roughly 15 years. This math however is not truely accurate because it assumes that the price of electricity will not go up. We all know it will and when it does, that makes the system pay for itself that much quicker. Also since I'll find a use for it during the other five months that it's not running the circulator it'll pay for itself even quicker. Right now I'm thinking it'll easily run a couple fans for the summer since we don't have AC but we run a lot of fans. I realize that the batteries will have to be replaced in the future and that will be an added expense but since they were not even 40% of the cost I don't think that'll throw the numbers that far off.

Also the number one benefit is that I won't have to endure any non heating system days in winter because the utility power is out! Right there, to me anyway that's worth the 934.07 I spent.

Scott

PS - To everyone considering some form of Solar - forget the nay-sayers and do what you know is right! But before you invest in solar make sure you invest in upgrading your efficiency because that's where you can really save some big bucks!

My system componets:
    1 SunGuard 4.5 amp - charge controller
    4 Batteries - 6 volt 220 Amp Hour
    4 Battery interconnect cables
    1 Inverter - 12 volt 1000 watt
    1 Solar Panel - 12 volt 80 watt
    2 Extension cord
    4 Misc. connectors

18. Stillponds

Stillponds Active Member

jgbndaudio Scott,
    If you figure a yearly average of 12 hours of sunlight per day your unit is capable of producing .960kw per day (12hrs x 80 watts). That equals 28.8 kw per month. At 28.8kw per month it would take 190 months for payback (28.8kw x 190 = 5495kw) (5495kw x $.17 = $934).
    In 190 months there will be many days that the sun shines little. The batteries will degrade/fail as well as components.
    In practice your unit will probably only produce, on average, half of the .960kw per day; angle to the sun is optimal for a short time, unless you have a sun tracking unit, there are cloudy days, the unit is not 100% efficient, the pv cells degrade over time so the payback will be well past 190 months.

For $900 you can buy a 5kw generator and power your whole house in emergencies.

David

19. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Been living with modified sinewave inverter power for 5 years and the only thing i ever notice is that if I have only one light on i hear a buzz , oh ya and i have trouble getting AM radio stations cause the radio buzzes on AM only too!

20. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

While that deal seems to be an okay price for someone else putting it all together for you dont forget you will need to buy at least one batter to store some of that power so you can turn on a light at night too.