solar fence chargers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by zukgod, Mar 17, 2008.

1. zukgod

zukgod Well-Known Member

Do any of you use a solar electric fence charger? I tried a harbor frieght one and took it back. What junk, but I understand there are models out there that are better than others. Can anyone make any recomendations? We are keeping goats and pigs back with the system, we have regular fence with 2 hot wires, we hope to use solar to keep from running power out there. Thanks for any help.

2. zukgod

zukgod Well-Known Member

3. Sand Flat Bob

Sand Flat Bob north central Texas

Where are you located? If you are not too far to the fence, I would probably do like I have done here, install a very strong 110v charger, I am using one that is good for 100 miles of fence, then I just run a electric fence wire out to the place I would use a solar charger and it is much hotter and costs less to operate. You need a good grounding system where the charger is located. I have solar chargers, but they are costly to buy and the replacement batteries for them are also high. Like plug in chargers much better. If you are where they have stores, look at Tractor supply for chargers.

Bob

4. Texas_Plainsman

Texas_Plainsman Well-Known Member

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I have to have a hot charger due to the amount of fence I have. ParMak's solar 12 volt version is the best value that I have found for the money. Originally I bought their solar 6 volt version but was disappointed with the output. The 12 volt version is fine. The unit has a good warranty and ParMak is easy to work with! This is a USA company.
    http://www.parmakusa.com/Fencers/solar2.htm

6. nathan104

nathan104 Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I was going to post a question but saw this thread and didnt want to add another electric fence thread. So, hope the OP doesnt mind if I add it here.

I am about to buy a solar fence charger and put in electric fencing. My question, is does an electric fence have to be a closed loop? Like, does it have to have four sides or could I make a single run down a fence line going out that doesnt connect to anything? I have two fence lines that dead end into my pond. Id like to electrify these and the third side but the pond side would be open. Basically, it would be three sides. I want to leave the pond side open and not have a fence there. Is this possible or would it have to have fours sides in order to close the loop so to speak? Sorry if this is a stupid question, Im ignorant when it comes to electric fences.

7. CGUARDSMAN

CGUARDSMAN Well-Known Member

8. CGUARDSMAN

CGUARDSMAN Well-Known Member

it does not have to be a closed loop. just make sure you have a good ground and put the positive lead on your wire.

9. nathan104

Thanks for the quick answer. I asked two employess at the Tractor Supply co., but neither knew about electric fences. Sure appreciate it.

10. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

The trick of any electric fence is a good ground. Do not skimp here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

We originally got a solar charger as they were more economical than a standard charger...after a very short time we realized it was completely inadequate for keeping goats in...we have a stronger charger now ( 7 or 8 joule output can't recall exactly ) and that seems to work much better. Solars work great as I understand for horses or cattle..I use my solar now to contain my dogs in an area. Good grounding is very important when installing any electric fence.

12. zukgod

zukgod Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the help everyone. I will hopefully make a better buy now. Have a great afternoon. As always this site saves me a ton of headache.

13. nathan104

suzy, so you are saying the solar model did not have enough juice running through the lines to discourage the goats hard enough? If you dont mind me asking, how many miles of fencing did you have on what mile output charger? I will be putting in a 3 miles charger on my fencing and after adding the two strands, I have a little over a miles of wire ran. Im hoping that since Im not maxing the charger out it should give good output.

14. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

If you has access to mains power by all means use a 110 volt AC fence charger. They are much hotter for the money spent. The next hottest units are the ones that work off a 12 volt vehicle battery. Solar is the least hot. The cost of operation of a good 110 volt AC charger is only a few cents per month and no battery to replace ($40 +-)

15. Dirtslinger

Dirtslinger Well-Known Member

I use the Parmak solar 12V, low impedance charger (30 mile?).
    I use it to keep bears out, and in 2 years so far it works. Keep the grass clipped, and get a good ground is all I suggest.

16. 3kidsomy

3kidsomy Well-Known Member

I use one and it works great. I got mine at home depot, they have 2 sizes. Get a electric fence tester as well, they can save you alot of time and headaches, they are cheap. Good luck!

17. chuckhole

chuckhole Born city, love country

Which would be best to keep the Coons out of the corn for a 95'x130' garden? This means war.

18. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Our solar set up is pretty much like the 1st one in the above posters link
    http://www.parmakusa.com/Fencers/solar2.htm
    Our place is only 3 acres so we were well within the radius of the fence. There were 3 rows ran as there was barbed fence already in place on 3 sides of our property, one side had standard field fence.

19. zukgod

zukgod Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I think we are going to just do power, we don't want the animals getting out and don't want to take the chance.