Solar Fence Charger?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by OD, Jul 16, 2004.

1. OD

OD Well-Known Member

The old AC powered fence charger has died. We have been thinking about getting a solar powered one this time, & I've heard pros & cons about them. Has anybody had any bad luck with solar chargers?

2. I had a 6 volt model, it bit the dust, but served well while it worked. I would suggest the 12 volt model, the 6 isn't hot enough for sheep and I can't vouch if the 12 is much better for them, but I imagine it is. Only once when we had weeks of dark gloomy WX did the battery drain.

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

If the power is there, stick with a plug-in unit. Solar and battery units are ok for their intended purpose (getting a zap where there's no power), but if available plug-in is the way to go!

Jena

4. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

We have a Dare brand solar 12v charger, it got me the other day and knocked me to the ground, I was unaware of what happened until I bounced off the ground!

So far all the animals have respect for those little wires.
    I came back to add, the only down side to it is it needs 3 days of bright sunlight to fully charge the battery in it, ( it comes with the battery)

5. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

I have to stick with Jena here. I use both, and the solar and battery units are getting better, but the plugins will probably always be cheaper and more dependable. I restrict my solar to garden duty and temporary use, any long term location is plug-in if at all possible. I am using for preditor control, not containment, but I doubt that my oinion would change anyway. You just really seem to get more bang (or zap) with the wired units.