Solar Cookers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MarkNH, Aug 21, 2005.

1. MarkNH

MarkNH Well-Known Member

Given the Price of LPG, Has anyone on this group built and used a Solar Cooker? I happened upon a place selling them( http://www.sunoven.com/order.asp ) but @ $200 it seems a bit expensive. It seems like something that would be very easy to build.

How easy are they to use, what kind of meals have you prepared in them?

Have any good plan sites?

thanks,
    Mark

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

3. mightybooboo

Ok OK!
    I ordered the darn thing with the pot and the water thermometer.Surprise for Mrs BooBoo,Im not going to tell her its coming! :D

Put it on credit card,then went to bank online and transferred funds,gee I love this stuff! :sing:

BooBoo

4. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

A good article in Countryside Magazine a couple of months ago, told how to build one for about $4 meterials. Sure hopr Mrs Boo doesn't find out. :viking:

5. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I "built" one several years ago from aplan online somewhere using reconfigured cardboard boxes (2), crumpled newspaper, tin foil, and an old window in a wood frame I happened to have. Cooks like a dream. Have dome pot roast style stuff - meat, potatoes, onions, and carrots in a covered pot using chicken and venison. Also have done a pot of beans. works just fine and no cost really. No, I don't remember the site, but I reember finding it by just searching for solar cookers and it was a plan used for 3rd world countries.

6. Natalie11

Natalie11 Well-Known Member

Here is a good resource for solar Ovens as well
    http://www.solaroven.org

I hit it every couple months for fresh news on the ovens.

I have plans for putting one in the backyard made of rock work and 3 8x4' sheets of glass..... on paper it should pull 500 degrees without thermal vent work added....

Now I just need some free time to lay it into reality.

Good luck...

7. Natalie11

Natalie11 Well-Known Member

Sorry, that wasn't the intended website, but helpful none the less..

Here's the one I was trying to post

http://www.solarcooking.org

Ok

8. mightybooboo

We tried the one from the window screen reflector if thats what you refer to.The funnel thing.Didnt work worth a darn.

No regrets buying a quality unit.Which the sun oven is.Polypropylene case,insulated,molded aluminum liner,powder coated,self leveling shelf,tempered glass door,lifetime seal,anodized aluminum reflectors.Will outlast us.Folds up easily.Will also travel well,that should be fun when out with RV.

Its a quality appliance.An oven that powers itself for 200 bucks or so,I LOVE IT!

Mrs guessed in 7 guesses what I was up to,knows better than to leave me home alone!

Not to worry Ed,more :bow: than :grump: She is VERY pleased. :angel:

Natalie,the link you provided is the place to go.

Goatlady,WTG!

I will make bread and roast when it comes in and let you know the results.Tons of recipes online,I like the frozen chuck roast,3 lbs. in 3.5 hours!

I have NO DOUBT this is a winner.

BooBoo

9. cathryn

cathryn Well-Known Member

Sorry-this isn't on topic but I don't know where else I would put this?

I am new to the site and LOVE IT!

I have been noticing peoples locations in their posts. I saw MarkinNH and had to laugh. It is so funny that he is "in NH for now". I am in CT for now, but hope to get up to NH - where Mark wants to leave. It is so funny how things are relative. We (hubby and I) can't believe people would buy some of the local houses that are right on such busy roads. Then we visit my relatives in Staten Island NY where houses are literally right on top of each other and to them the houses in our town are the country.

Mark do you know where you want to migrate to?

10. mightybooboo

Hi newbie Cathryn! You can start a thread and ask why they live where,something like that? Or one to say 'HI,Im here!'

Welcome aboard!

BooBoo