soil test result questions

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by fransean, Nov 7, 2006.

1. fransean

fransean Well-Known Member

I just got my results in the mail and although I read them I am a little confused since I have no experience with this :shrug:

I told them I wanted to plant fruit trees (that is my first goal).
    These are the numbers and the recommendations:

soil pH 5.3
    Lime index 69.0
    Phosphorus 106
    Potassium 41
    Magnesium 29
    Calcium 228
    CEC 2.7

Limestone 2ton/A
    Nitrogen 50lb/A
    Potassium 170lb/A

There was also a message stating that magnesium tests low - broadcast 50-100 lb Mg/acre or 1-2lb Mg per 1000 sq ft
    There was another message recommending the lime because the soil is "weekly buffered"

From the county:
    the general recommendation include applying 2tons dolomitic lime per acre (100 lbs per 1000 square feet)
    if planting new trees (yes) before planting apply 170lbs 0-0-60 fertilizer per acre (4lbs per 1000 square feet)

Okay, I was reading in a library book "Backyard Orchardist" and trying to make sense of this information. I wanted to plant in the spring bare root fruit trees. Am I going to have to add this and wait another season or until fall to plant or can I plant right away ............
    Where do I find a source of this? Can I find the lime and fertilizer in a small town? Or should I plan on bringing some from the city? That seems like a lot of lime! Should I just then add it to the general area that I plan on planting my first batch of trees (I will add more later).

I am asking a lot of questions because I have never planted fruit trees before and I really want to give them the best start that I can.

Thanks
    Bev

2. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

What state are you in? I know a bit confused, but what state in the United States? Hope this helps. Ray

3. fransean

fransean Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks that is helpful :)
    Our property is in Michigan but we are still living in Illinois (plan on moving next year). We are not going to make another trip until spring so I will not be able to do any additional prep work to the soil this fall. I had wanted to plant apples, pears and peaches to start with.
    I am thinking on emailing the county agent to ask about specific varieties. I figure I have all winter to learn then I can put it into action in the spring!

Bev

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

You should order your trees as soon as you can so that you can get the varieties you want on the rootstocks that you want. If you wait until spring to buy trees you may be limited to what the local garden center has on hand, usually a limited selection of overpriced trees--but of course you might get lucky.

5. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

How much area are we talking about? Where Im at the local fertilizer dealer hauls and spreads lime for about 10 bucks a ton but thats in farm quantities there may be a dealer there that would do this now .
    In fact if he can get his truck in you might get him to mix mix up everything and spread it it now even if it is a small amount simply by paying him enough to make it worth his trouble.