Soil or Hydroponic?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by KRH, Dec 27, 2005.

1. KRH

KRH Resident Wino

Im looking to start growing culinary herbs indoors this winter. Cilantro and Basil at this point. As I have a chance to sell all I cant use of those to a local resturant.
    I think I have all the lights I need. 4 4ft florecents for starting seedlings and 400W MH and 600W MH for production. I have never used a hydro system before but I have heard its a lot less hassle and mess than growing in soil. I think Id like to give it a shot. Does anyone here use a hydroponic setup?
    Is it as simple as they say? Will flavors of the herbs be affected by not using soil?
    Most hydro veggies I have tasted dont have much flavor. Is that from the lack of soil or just people growing flavorless hybrids bred for shelflife and good looks?
    Any input from both sides would be appreciated.

2. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I would use soil I think it would be cheaper that way.Also more Natural.

3. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

I don't know much about hydroponics, but I do know that around here, there is a big problem with chemicals in the water that are running off from conventional agriculture. For here, home composted soil, and filtered water would be much safer! We have some FLAMING allergies to those chemicals in this fam, so maybe I am more sensitive to this issue than is helpful to you. Nitrites and Nitrates are the culprits here, not to mention chlorine. We had our water tested, it had more chlorine in it than a swimming pool! Wouldn't want to grow my veggies in THAT!

Good luck.
    Cindy

4. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

I grow hydroponicaly. I think the flavorless veggies you are refering to are from the varities, not hydroponics. You can visit my website http://zrubeks.com/hydro/NFT Trough.htm to see what i am doing. All of my growing is outdoors, but it sounds like you have plenty of lights to get going with. I havn't grown basil myself, but i have read that it is a major hydorponics crop. I do have some cilantro going and it is doing very well. Don't worry about chlorine in your water, chlorine will dissipate in a day or two from standing water. Your going to need containers if your growing inside so dirt won't be cheaper, would probably cost more. Good luck with whatever you decide on.