Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any ideas of how to stop our soil erosion? Here's what I have. A steep hill going down into a creek. The previous owner had dump truck loads full of broken up concrete slabs and dirt and dumped where the hill was eroding. We had 4" of rain, and now is washing all the concrete slabs into the creek.
I thought of maybe a dry creek bed? Or even a retaining wall, but the hill is so steep, I'll need to hire a structural eng. before I attempt that, but I can not afford one.
Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
1. More/ better rip-rap.

2. Really good vegitation.

Will depend on the actual slope, if it is a channel or a whole long bank of same grade, etc.

--->Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Consider talking to the local Soil & Water Conservation District people. They will have experienced people who can evaluate your situation and recomend solutions. Their services are free, and if you don't agree/can't afford their solution...not obligated. Rambler is correct...excellent ground cover.
Good luck with the situation.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I was also thinking of using railroad tyes, to line the creek bed walls with. It will be a lot of work, but do you think it will work or worth it?
Thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
Going to depend on what state you are in - might not want to mess with the creek bed itself in some states (wetlands/ flowing waters issues - hands stricktly off!), and many are also getting pretty picky about RR tie goo causing pollution.

I'm not saying it would be wrong in my opnion, but I think I'd talk it over with some agency first before creating something the raise a ruckus about.

--->Paul

R

·
0 Posts
Probably what happened was the trees were removed from the creek bank which is allowing all the erosion. The land next to me use to have trees on both sides of the creek when I was growing up and the creek stayed deep. A new owner came in and clear cut all the trees out right up to the edge of the creek bank just to get a little more pasture land. Next thing you know all the banks started caving in, the creek got shallow, and the gravel bar got wider. He did not gain one inch of good pasture land. All that gravel bar does is just grows weeds the cows wont eat.

If you want to stop the erosion let nature take its coarse and let the trees start growing back. In some states it has become mandatory to fence the streams off some 30 - 40 ft from the edge of the bank. Another neighbor who lives on the other side of the property I just mentioned now has his part of the creek fenced off after seeing what happened to our neighbors property.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts