Software to design layout of addition - CAD type

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by modjadje, May 24, 2004.

1. modjadje

modjadje Member

Hi all, I did a search on this forum but possibly just did not use the right terms, came up with no results for Computer Assisted Drawing software ... aka CAD . My hubby intends to make our house bigger, and would like to plan the lay-out using this kind of software. That way one can keep on tweaking the plan until it is to one's liking.
    Does anyone have experience with this kind of software and can recommend one? Needs to be user-friendly, and inexpensive ... preferably shareware (free is good!)
    We appreciate your recommendations.

Delina, who lives on the edge of the Siskiyou National Forest in southwestern Oregon.

2. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

I like autocad a lot. Its pricey, not sure how much, but there is an LT version. Its very nice, there are a ton of books on it, but I do not find it too hard. We spent part of one trimester on it in school, once you know the commands its easy, and I bought it, with a student discount, forgot how much it cost. Its great if you do a lot of building, I think its fun to play with and design things. I havent used much else, however I did spend a lot of time looking at the shelves in Best Buy, but nothing looked the same enough for me. Hopefully some other people will have experience with some of the less costly options. Good Luck

3. trtalbott

trtalbott Well-Known Member

Go to shareware.com and search for CadStd Lite v3.5.2 and download it for free. It's very standard, but does the job. Otherwise bearshare might have another cad program to download if you have DSL.

4. Gimpy_Magoo

Gimpy_Magoo Well-Known Member

Check FLOOR PLAN 3D DESIGN SUITE
    I got mine off eBay for under 30 bucks and it does everything I want including landscaping.

nice book to go with.

Gimpy

5. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Look up Punch Software on Google. They have quite a few choices.

6. Howdy: I've used AutoCAD for about 20 years. I recommend you try IntelliCAD, a free AutoCAD clone available at www.cadopia.com.

AutoCAD and work-alike products aren't easy to learn or use :) However, they are the worldwide standard and the investment is worthwhile. I made my living doing CAD drafting for many years before becoming a software tester. I'm now in the process of going back in a CAD direction.

Good Luck,
    Daniel Schumacher
    Vashon, WA
    danschu63@yahoo.com

7. jimmler100

jimmler100 New Member

I would agree that IntelliCad is the way to go if you want to use a CAD type program (I have used Autocad for 15 years).

If you are looking for something more user friendly, I would suggest 3D Home Architect. Very Easy to use, not too expensive (around $60 or $70), and you can export a dxf file that can be imported to Autocad or Intellicad.

We have designed three or four of our dream houses in 3D Home Architect (haven't built one yet, though
    :waa:

My husband (not a cad operator) was able to use it quite easily without any instruction.

Good Luck!

Julie

8. modjadje

modjadje Member

Hello all,
    Thank you for your input, I appreciate your recommendations very much. Someone sent me a private mail, but unfortunately I cannot respond because the system is not working well in that regard, it recognizes me when I sign in, but then when I want to respond to the PM, it says I am not authorized to do so. I have posted a thread about it in Admin, when that gets sorted out, I can respond to the PM.
    It was very nice of you all to help me.
    Delina