Soft Ice Cream for finishing

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Smelt, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Smelt

Smelt Active Member

I just scored on 60-5 gal sacks of vanilla and chocolate ice cream mix. It's ultra pasturized and homoginized, semi frozen. 10% butterfat, sugar and flavoring....

Our 2 pigs have a month and a half before butchering...what do you think off this as feed (with other stuff as well) to finish?

Tanx

He Who Swims Up River

2. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Smelt,
    Personally i would not suggest using the ice cream mix to finish your pigs with, 1st because of the chemicals involved in the mix type things on the market these days, but also it would be my opinion that this would cause the meat to be ummm ,,, well mushy, or not as firm as if you finish them on something like strait corn.
    of course this is JMO.
    Rick

3. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

I have an uncle who had a homestead with pigs and bought from a store their failed (power failure for a day) ice cream, yogurt, ect and used it to finish them. They turned out pretty fatty but I think at 8 months they were like 1100 & 1300 lbs respectively. I would give it a shot. Being that it's fit for human consumption, I wouldn't worry about the chemicals issue. My only concern would be the flavor of the meat but if you're feeding them dairy I can't see the harm. Go for i!

Dan

4. Smelt

Smelt Active Member

Thanks all for the thoughts!

I think I'll give 'em a little bit each day mixed with their slop.

Smelt

5. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

That, I have to say, is debatable. Things that are supposedly fit for human consumption are making people sicker by the day. JMHO.

6. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

feed it to em , expect a lot more fat on the meat,
    but also , hey , if you have chickens mix some up for the chickens too ,
    as for dairy issues, i have fed every pig i have ever raised goat milk , and never had an issue with off pork , i do however get more fat than when i havent had goats milking, which for me isnt an issue , i make homemade soap from a lot of the lard ...

im not saying its the best feed, and i dont think youre lanning on feeding exclusively , but, for example, my pigs get about 2-3 gallons of goat milk a day, i soak whole grain wheat and corn in the milk overnight ,thats shared between 4 pigs ( uncastrated boars)
    plus they get more corn and soybean meal ,sunflower seeds, table scraps, non meat only, and they are in a large pen where they root happily ...