Soft horns? Something wrong?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Ark, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

I have a buckling who I noticed was acting too quiet last night. So, this morning I took him aside and he ate just fine, but still seems too quiet, for lack of a better description! He just isn't moving around like normal. But, it may be that it is cold and rainy... None of the others are really going out and about either. The only thing I can SEE that's weird is that one of his horms had a dent in it... so I touch it and it felt really soft!
    Then, I picked at it a little to see how soft it really was and a little piece came off! Then awhile later I noticed that the tip of horn plus a whole 'nother inch was hanging off, kinda like the "crust" - just an outer layer.
    What does this mean? Some kind of deficiency? :confused:
    Thanks!
    Rachel

2. GoatTalkr9

GoatTalkr9 Well-Known Member

My young bucklings ussually have peeling horns. The worst one was the Obi buckling a few months ago. We finally put pine tar on his horns to keep them from chipping so much. Within a month he was fine,they hardened up.If this IS a deficiency,I would love to know,and know what to do to correct it. Mine just seem to grow out of it.

3. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Hmmm... upon closer inspection, I see signs of peeling horns on two more of the youngsters... but none of them are as soft as the little bucklings are.

:confused:

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Did you know that horn is all protein? What is the total protein of his ration, grain plus hay? Vicki

5. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

AHA! The horn is all protein! :eek:
    So, he must not be getting enough. Aaww... poor boy... :waa:
    I'll up it, slowly of course!
    Thankyou!!!