Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The prevalence of metabolic syndrome is increased among middle-aged adults who regularly drink carbonated soft drinks, even soda that is calorie-free, new research suggests.

The metabolic syndrome is a cluster of several cardiovascular risk factors, including high blood pressure, high cholesterol, excess fat around the abdomen and glucose intolerance, a condition in which the body can no longer process sugar in the blood that often precedes diabetes.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUKLAU37885920070723

·
Registered
567 Posts
I believe I have this exact problem for that exact reason. If I would not drink sodas, my health would improve drastically. I feel absolutely addicted.

Thanks for the update, Kimberly

·
Registered
640 Posts
My hubby used to work for a soda company as a teenager. He said the soda mixture (before the carbonated water is added), when spilled was considered HAZMAT. He said the stuff was so awful, so toxic that it wasn't hard for him to think "Gee, and I DRINK that stuff?"

We don't drink soda. It's considered a 'special', like when we go out to eat or to visit friends/family, etc. Occasionally we buy it for the weekend. Even then, the boys would much rather drink chocolate milk or lemonade.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I used to be a pepsi junkie. It was one of the hardest habits I ever broke, but the impact on my health by giving it up has been tremendous!

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
My Mom was just diagnosed with metabolic syndrom...she has all these health issues and a few more..however, she was never addicted to any soft drinks in fact I have rarely ever seen her drink any carbonated beverage...she drinks water, tea, or juice..

Me OTOH drink way more diet coke than any one person should as much as a 12 pack a day or more...and I agree it is the hardest habit to break...

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aintlifegrand said:
My Mom was just diagnosed with metabolic syndrom...she has all these health issues and a few more..however, she was never addicted to any soft drinks in fact I have rarely ever seen her drink any carbonated beverage...she drinks water, tea, or juice..
Soda increases the risk. It may not be the direct cause in a;; cases.

There are probably other factor's in your mom's case. How is the rest of her diet? Is the juice she drinks 100% juice, or juice drinks? Everyone is different. :)

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
For the last year I've had a real problem with my legs and feet swelling-really swelling up! :eek: It was so bad I even posted in the Alt Health forum. :help:

I noticed that when I ran out of Diet Pepsi and instead drank unsweetened Ice Tea or coffee; my feet and legs didn't swell up. I discounted the connection for a long time thinking it was a coincidence but lately I've been noticing that there really is a connection!

So yesterday was my first day of intentional Diet Pepsi withdrawal. Talk about perfect timing; the reports came out about the problems with soda about 12 hrs after I started my withdrawal. :D

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Didn't they say this about coffee and tea many years ago? Only to find out later it wasn't true?

Makes one wonder about these studies. :rolleyes:

Moderation is the key. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts