Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though federal authorities ban the growing of hemp, saying it contains tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive substance better known as THC in marijuana, six states this year considered legislation to allow farmers to grow industrial hemp, and Representative Ron Paul, Republican of Texas, introduced a bill in Washington that would let states allow such crops. In state legislatures, the advocates of hemp note that it contains mere traces of THC, and that hemp (grown in other countries) is already found here in clothes, lotions, snack bars, car door panels, insulation and more.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/21/us/21hemp.html?_r=2&th&emc=th&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
This would be great. It's a good fiber with lots of uses, the oil is excellent quality, and it grows on what I would call cr*ppy land except that the problem with the land is probably that it has too little cr*p rather than too much.

(mods if you don't like the asterisked words then I respectfully request that you change them to acceptable words rather than deleting the post--you have my permission to edit the post in that regard, thanks.)

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
ladycat said:
Though federal authorities ban the growing of hemp, saying it contains tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive substance better known as THC in marijuana, six states this year considered legislation to allow farmers to grow industrial hemp, and Representative Ron Paul, Republican of Texas, introduced a bill in Washington that would let states allow such crops. In state legislatures, the advocates of hemp note that it contains mere traces of THC, and that hemp (grown in other countries) is already found here in clothes, lotions, snack bars, car door panels, insulation and more.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/21/us/21hemp.html?_r=2&th&emc=th&oref=slogin&oref=slogin
I'm all for it. Hemp is a wonderful all-purpose crop. The only problem is that is it *awful* easy to hide marijuana plants in it, since they look, essentially identical. How would you keep disreputable folks from having a "double crop"?

donsgal

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Native Americans have been fighting for this a long time. Hemp is legally grown in Canada.

RF

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More power to them.

But I rather suspect the Feds are going to shoot them down.

.....Alan.

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Hemp doesn't need the heavy application of pesticides and herbicides that cotton does....do you think that companies like Monsanto or Dow would like to see it grown legally? My bet is that a lot of money will be thrown against any attempt to legalise it.

·
Premium Member
7,295 Posts
Never had any problems living next to fields of it in Germany. Since we were both US soldiers proscribed from drug use we tried not to inhale when we walked the dogs past it, and might've stayed indoors if they'd ever burned the field.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Hey - I am from North Dakota and I thought that it was legal to grow hemp here. After all then why would my neighbor have that huge big plot of it right next to the house...in the backyard... wtih that huge big fence that he recently put up around it?!? Kind of stange. Oh well - see no evil and hear no evil!! :)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Supposidly it takes a whole plant of hemp to get high, unlike a few leafs of weed. I wonder how many teens would try to smoke their pants or notebook if it was made out of hemp? lol :D

I'm all for hemp. I had a journal with it and that thing was rugged.

Kat

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
largentdepoche said:
Supposidly it takes a whole plant of hemp to get high, unlike a few leafs of weed. I wonder how many teens would try to smoke their pants or notebook if it was made out of hemp? lol :D

I'm all for hemp. I had a journal with it and that thing was rugged.

Kat
Oh, trust me, it's takes a whole bar ditch full of KS ditch weed to make you light headed, and that's just the CO2 and anticipation working on you, lol.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ajaxlucy said:
Okay, here's my ignorance showing: why is hemp a good thing to plant? What is it used for where it is legally grown?
It's used for just about everything cotton is used for, but makes a stronger product.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I googled for more specific info.

Hemp is one of the oldest industries on the planet, dating back more than 10000 years to the beginnings of pottery. Hemp is cannabis grown specifically for industrial use and thus contains very low levels of cannabinoids (THC). Used worldwide in clothing and increasingly in cosmetics it is also used to make paper, textiles, building materials, food, medicine, paint, detergent, varnish, oil, ink, and fuel.

Here are 2 charts showing some of the stuff hemp is used for:
http://students.ou.edu/W/Elicia.A.Wallach-1/usesofhemp.htm
http://www.hemphasis.net/useschart.htm

And BTW, it's not illegal to use processed hemp products. We import them all the time. We just can't grow it here.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.