Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
I rarely have to look down the end of a board at my local mills, but then ironically some of the boards at my local box store retailer are so twisted I don't have to look very closely at them either, lol.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
I'm guessing the price jumps and unemployment will prevent some projects from even starting.. How many people at this time can shrug off a substantial increase to their new home/project cost?
I bet you are right

I've been seeing the same observations noted on a couple woodworking forums I participate in. It's not just construction lumber, but hardwoods and specialty woods are up as well, although not by as large a percentage.

Starting to see problems in grocery & general stores again with supplies. Prices obviously up. I'm guessing that a lot of what we're seeing is due to supply chain disruptions. The virus, of course, but I also can't help but wonder about impacts from the protests/riots (call it what you will) - for example, how much lumber is processed through Seattle or Portland? (Honestly don't know, just wondering aloud here)

I'm guessing the price jumps and unemployment will prevent some projects from even starting.. How many people at this time can shrug off a substantial increase to their new home/project cost?
Doubtful.
Lumber is typically only a small percentage of a building project cost. You always have much more money in site work, concrete and foundations, masonry, roofing, finishes, doors, windows, plumbing, electrical, etc. Not to mention the labor and equipment costs to utilize the lumber.

I was told the store was pulling plywood and relocating it to areas that will need it for board ups.
I assumed that meant the hurricane, but I suppose it could also have included sites affected by protests.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Sawmill fires driving up prices

Discussion starter · #38 ·
I would encourage you to watch that video. He is one smart cat

If you can buy from the mill and dry your own for outside building you can save a lot. You can also dry your own but would have to stack it right. Never try to dry it in the sun.
Never build a house with rough lumber. The building codes would not pass it.
I built mine out of rough lumber. I'd like to think it turned out decent.....😊.

And in Tennesse now (because I worked with my legislator to get it passed), you CAN build with ungraded, unstamped sawmill lumber due to a Native Species Act....which several other States have as well.

Most of my house is rough sawn hemlock .
The interior walls are regular 2 x 4 I have 26 foot 2 x 8x 26 for my garage ceiling
30’ iPod floor joists for my second floor 3/4 ply wood on my walls and some 5/8 ply on some of the roof .
Every thing else hemlock .

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.