Homesteading Forum banner

Soaring Lumber Prices

4K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  Docdubz 
#1 ·
“When combined with better-than-expected housing demand and home building activity, along with projects being done by the DIY segment, builders are seeing shortages of lumber resulting in an 80% increase in lumber prices since mid-April,” the NAHB wrote in its letter to President Trump. “Framing lumber prices reached a record high in late July, while oriented strand board prices have increased 138% over the past year. These sharp increases are unsustainable, particularly in light of the housing affordability crisis.”

#7 ·
Yes prices have gone up do to the very large corp. taken over a lot of the small companies. I have over 4000 ac. of land now. Have been buying any land that has timber on it for years in my area. Been sawing up mostly large timber and large sq. post for 20 years now since i retired from my regular jobs. My one man saw mill can take logs 20ft. long by 20 inch. Dia. I do not saw up 2x4 inch lumber. I have Pine, Oak, Maple, Walmut, Cypress, etc. I adjust my price once a year. Price of my lumber is about 25% less than big companies. I don't have near as much overhead. Cut and harvest my own lumber, saw it up and dry it and treat when requested. Last year was my best year since i started with my own sawmill. Three men run my mill operation. This year is going to be another record year. I make a bit more on my lumber operation then on my farm stock however i do very well with Pork. I sell breeding stock and also wholesale pork.

#11 ·
One very large'' company" near here , privately owned has been buying up the smaller mills for years. It was all for hardwood. Then jumped into building a 50 million pine sawmill that turned into 70 million. Trying to gain the upper hand on the largest privately owned pine log Mill in the country...

#14 ·
I noted the prices Monday while picking up lumber for another chicken coop I'll be building in the next few weeks.
It has risen but it isn't reached a panic level.
Fortunately, we have a lot of sawmills in our area and they are pricing cheaper than the national chains.
The box stores seem to be struggling to keep 2x6s and 4x4s on their shelves.

#15 ·
Pressure treated lumber especially jumped up.

be aware on sheet metal....... they estimate 20-25% of the grain bins in Iowa got storm damage in that big wind a week ago. There is going to be a dry strong demand for sheet metal to rebuild those over the next 12 months. Galvanized sheet metal is the next big hit.

Paul

#26 ·
I've been seeing the same observations noted on a couple woodworking forums I participate in. It's not just construction lumber, but hardwoods and specialty woods are up as well, although not by as large a percentage.

Starting to see problems in grocery & general stores again with supplies. Prices obviously up. I'm guessing that a lot of what we're seeing is due to supply chain disruptions. The virus, of course, but I also can't help but wonder about impacts from the protests/riots (call it what you will) - for example, how much lumber is processed through Seattle or Portland? (Honestly don't know, just wondering aloud here)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.