Soaps/ Graywater/ Vegetables ???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sisterpine, May 28, 2005.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings from the mountain! I need to use my gray water (dish water and shower water and bathroom sink water and laundry water) to water my outside fruit trees, vegetable plants etc. I need to know what kind of Dish soap, Laundry Soap, Bath soap will not harm stuff or poison stuff. I think that dish soap is ok since i use it to bug spray for those same plants, mostly I am needing info on shower soap and laundry soap! Many thanks. Kathleen

2. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

We haven't had a problem with any of them. Irish Spring is highly scented and does tend to deter deer.

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I don't know about what will or will not hurt plants, but Herself has been emptying her dish water where the chickens could scratch through it for several years without harming the grass or the chickens.

I can't imagine they get any closer than a couple hundred yards, upwind, of my bathwater.

She went this week to see about a permit for a graywater system and the Health Department said, "Graywater permit, you don't need no stinking graywater permit."

4. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Is grease from the kitchen sink (from washing dishes) a concern? Seems to me that I had read somewhere that it can "clog" the soil over time. Has anyone had any problems with this?

5. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Depends on volumn and area. Keep putting lots of greasy water on a small patch and you might get trouble. Spread a little over a large area and no problem. Our dishwater is very seldom greasy. Forget clogging the soil, and think about arteries!

6. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Most soaps nowadays are not toxic. Also, consider the dilution of the water to reduce any toxicity too. As much soapy water that you produce, you also have rinse water to go with it. I throw my old coffee, leftover drinks in the water too!

I commend you for not wasting water.

I wouldn't worry about grease. Use some newspaper to wipe out any residue from your pans. The little bit that's left won't hurt anything. Remember our grandmothers and great grandmothers watered their flowers and vegetables this way.

We capture several gallons (4?) each day just by catching the cold water before we step into the shower. If it's raining, we use it to flush the toilet.

7. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

thanks for all the great information you all! we also capture the cold before the hot and use it to make my sun tea! because we still haul water it is important that we get the very best use of the water that we do have. And i hate to see dish and shower water just run out into the forest which it is now doing. So will be running longer versions of the gray water piping , 4", down to the fruit trees area and the green house area. I dont know that there will be enough water to do the total watering (doubt it) but any little bit will help- can mix it with the rain water we catch too. thanks again for putting my mind at rest regarding the soaps!