Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be making soap with lye and i heard that red devil lye will not work with soapmaking anymore. And if you cant use red devil anymore where do you get lye from. Anything would help thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had read it on oldfashionfamilies forum here is her qoute

Here in Paris, Arkansas that is, I am having no luck in finding RD Lye. So I looked on the internet. Found that it is being used to make drugs and also Walton Feed said that they had changed the formula and that it was not longer good for making soap. I can get lye from the feed mill as BIL works there. Anything special I should know about the lye from the mill and any feedback on the Red Devil.
Thanks,
Grams

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Frontier_oaks said:
I had read it on oldfashionfamilies forum here is her qoute

Here in Paris, Arkansas that is, I am having no luck in finding RD Lye. So I looked on the internet. Found that it is being used to make drugs and also Walton Feed said that they had changed the formula and that it was not longer good for making soap. I can get lye from the feed mill as BIL works there. Anything special I should know about the lye from the mill and any feedback on the Red Devil.
Thanks,
Grams
So the feed mill said don't buy Red Devil, buy ours here instead. Typical feed store BS.
Everyone uses Red Devil, but you need Red Devil Lye, not Red Devil drain opener. It is hard to find in some places because it's used to make meth, but you can get it online and any store that carries other Red Devil products like spackle, tools, etc. should be able to order it for you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know i was just wondering i didnt want to make a mistake thats why i didnt want to take what one person said to heart i wanted other opinions
thanks for all your help
Frontier_oaks

·
Bunny Poo Monger
3,067 Posts
There was a previous thread on this subject, you can check it out at this link. I use Red Devil 18oz plastic bottle of crystals to make my soap. You're wise to make sure you're using the product you should be using and not causing an accident for you and yours. Good thinking and happy soaping. ;)

Hope this helps.
http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=46218&highlight=red+devil+lye

·
Registered
163 Posts
fin29 said:
Everyone uses Red Devil, but you need Red Devil Lye, not Red Devil drain opener.
This is a little bit confusing, since my bottle says 'Red Devil Lye Drain Opener'. Since is also says it is 100% lye, that's what I'm planning to use for my soap...when that project percolates to the top of the list. :haha: Kroger near me carries is. Does Red Devil have a different formulation that is Drain Opener?

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
shelbynteg said:
This is a little bit confusing, since my bottle says 'Red Devil Lye Drain Opener'. Since is also says it is 100% lye, that's what I'm planning to use for my soap...when that project percolates to the top of the list. :haha: Kroger near me carries is. Does Red Devil have a different formulation that is Drain Opener?
I see what you mean...sorry. I was referring to the Liquid Plumber-type products that Red Devil makes as well. You've got the right stuff.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, I own a saop business...small but brings in a little extra cash.

Make sure it says lye 100% lye...never never never use anything that says "drain cleaner" only.

·
Registered
951 Posts
My law enforcement friends told me not to buy the lye for soap making at the same time I buy the two packs of Benedryl we use for our family because Benedryl is used in making crystal meth along with the lye! I was having trouble finding it around here so when our local grocery store got some in I bought two cans...but not the same day i bought Benedryl!

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Is Wood Ash Lye stonger than Red Devil ? I know I was using Wood Ash Lye for something,wasn't thinking and lost all the Hide and some meat off all my Fingers :eek: Took months to heal :( I know stupid.

big rockpile

·
Registered
639 Posts
big rockpile said:
Is Wood Ash Lye stonger than Red Devil ? I know I was using Wood Ash Lye for something,wasn't thinking and lost all the Hide and some meat off all my Fingers :eek: Took months to heal :( I know stupid.

big rockpile
Wood ash lye is potassium hydroxide. RD lye is *sodium* hydroxide. BOTH are quite caustic and both can be used for soap-making. The potassium hydroxide makes a soft soap - you need the sodium for bars. Keep vinegar nearby at all times for quick neutralizing!

-Sarah

·
Registered
144 Posts
big rockpile said:

big rockpile

OUCH!!! (Not stupid, just forgetful....)

Must not have used much H2O.... All lye is diluted(able) - so it depends on how much water you use through your ashes.

Hope you are healing well!!

Sue

·
Registered
72 Posts
I second Sarah J. Keep the vinegar handy as the main ingredient in the soap making process.
I washed down exposed skin with vinegar every time I made soap. I even kept a bowl of vinegar with paper towels torn and set in the bowl ready for wiping spills off the kitchen table and splashes on me.
A flake of lye can land on your skin inactive, and when the humidity is right, it activates.
You make soap, then go out to the barn to feed the goats, and you stop and marvel at this innocent mist coming over the mountain and lands on your soapmaking skin.
Something to think about.
What is that, an ounce of prevention??????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts