Soap Swap - Guaging Interest

Discussion in 'Swaps/Work-Alongs/Tutorials Archives' started by beaglady, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

Who would like to participate in a soap swap? I can coordinate it. Open to everyone from beginners to 50 year veteran soapers. CP, HP & remilled soaps are welcome (no m&p, sorry)

What do each of you think about sharing recipes? At minimum, each person should provide a listing of their ingredients, but it can be helpful to share recipes too. Do you want to do full size bars, or smaller ones, which could keep costs down, but still give enough chance to try each soap?

Due date would be about 8 weeks away, to allow time to get it made and cured. Each person would pay their own return shipping, via USPS flat rate box.

Please post your thoughts. Edited to add that I would be happy to step aside if someone else would like to organize this.

Diane W

2. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

I make glycerin soaps and would love to participate in a soap swap!

3. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I'm in. Half sized bars works for me, but I'm flexible. I think we need at least a couple of oz to be able to get a good feel for it, don't you? Any limit to the number of participants?

So...no pre-made base soaps? Or just no melt and pour soap? Lots of folks purchase rebatch base (aka milled to some) and don't make it themselves. Just want clarification...

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Count me in. I like the half sized bar idea, that's plenty of soap to play with and still keeps costs down. I also like the idea of sharing recipes.

So, no pre-made bases. Any other theme we need to work with?

5. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

I'm in! I'm good for 1/2 size bars - can we set a weight definition of 1/2 size so we're all uniform?

I'm good with no melt & pour or pre-made bases. I'm open to sharing recipes.

Cool idea! I'll probably need more details on how it works exactly though! :)

Nance

6. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

Can I use any of the gazillion bars that I have already made, or does it have to be new soap? They are full size bars......lynpea

7. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

My fully cured bars weigh between 4.2 and 4.5 oz. Half of that would be 2.1 oz and up. Is that pretty standard with everyone else? (my bars start out at 5 oz straight out of the mold)

8. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

count me in! Half sized bars are great!

Caren

9. kesoaps

I think your bars are bigger than mine, Jen. Pretty sure I end up with 3.5 oz after curing (but then again, I never have weighed them!)

10. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

beaglady just requested permission for the soap swap. I'm going to approve the swap, but let's do it in a more organized manner. Let's follow the format like we do for the quilt swaps, etc. by posting all the instructions/info/etc. on how it will all work; including the date the signup will end; date the soaps will be due; etc. I'll PM beaglady and work out all the details and then we will put up the official thread as a Sticky so everyone is on the same page. Sounds like fun!!

11. 3ravens

3ravens on furlough-downsized Supporter

Me too, please! I'll have to weigh my bars and see how much they are, then make the new ones accordingly...... So, at least 2 oz for half sized bars? Mine are all veggie based, but I have no objections to animal based ones.
    Any one have any allergies I need to know about?

12. Delinda

Delinda Well-Known Member Supporter

I would like to participate also please. Sounds like a great idea. I have lots of full size bars also. Can we use them?

13. beaglady

Keep your eyes peeled for the official sticky sign up thread tomorrow or Sunday.

Diane W

14. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll probably be interested, but we need to define what half size bars are, most of my bars are about 4oz, so half would be around 2 oz. Also, isn't glycerine soap considered melt and pour? This needs to be defined as many people don't like glycerine soaps.
    Dawn

15. kesoaps

I wouldn't think it would matter if some folks don't appreciate glycerine soap. Heck, someone may send patchouli, and it won't always be appreciated, either :shrug: Besides, I can appreciate the talent and time it takes to do a great mp soap, being mp challenged like I am, lol!

16. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

I already considered myself out of the swap since I do consider my soaps to be melt and pour. Too bad, they have lovely herbs and garden ingredients!

17. beaglady

We're official! Please see the sticky at the top of the first page to sign up. If you expressed interest here, you still need to sign up in the official thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.