Soap survey

Discussion in 'Vendor Display' started by Big Dave, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Big Dave

Big Dave Well-Known Member

What Kind of soap do you use on a daily basis? What is the cost?:kung: Thank you for your response's.

2. sriston

sriston Well-Known Member

Bar soap, the cheapest we can buy at the Dollar Store, usually 6 bars for about $2.00. We usually buy a big package of several bars because we only shop once every couple of months. For laundry, I buy a big jug or box of the cheapest (about $4) and then dilute it if liquid or use half the recommended amount. For washing dishes, again whatever is cheapest ($1). We wash our hair with the bar soap.

3. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Well-Known Member

Bar soap, for bathing and kitchen/gardener's soap (has coffee grounds in it to scrub off grime and neutralize garlic/onion odors). We pay anywhere from $3-$5 for a bar, so long as it isn't made with lard.

4. Taylor R.

Taylor R. Well-Known Member

I typically buy Zum Bar in bulk, and they make a baby bar for the kiddos, too. I love that they're a local company, and I pay $6.99 a lb., which is much better than buying individual bars and they cut them for me anyways.

5. Brighton

Brighton Guest

Kiss My Face, Honey and Olive Oil bar soap. Nature's Gate original shampoo and conditioner, I buy it by the gallon.

6. bluemoonluck

bluemoonluck Crazy Dog Lady Supporter

I use milk-based soaps from several sources, among them www.spiritgoat.com . I get their grab-bag assortment for myself, and order an uncut log of tea tree oil for my DH. Works out to $4-5 per bar.

7. simi-steading

simi-steading Well-Known Member Supporter

I use Lever 2000... Not sure what I pay.. I buy it in the 8 box pack... I know it's not too much though or I wouldn't buy it..

crazyfarm and osbmail like this.
  8. Bellyman

Bellyman Well-Known Member

Fulltime RVer looking for a Tennessee homestead
    Don't really know the cost of any of it.

Bath soap - Irish Spring. A bar lasts me several weeks.

Dish soap - Something cheap, not always the same stuff, just has to have a decent smell.

Laundry soap - Mix of Borax, Washing Soda and Fels Naptha shredded and all dissolved in water. It works out to a little less than $1/gal and I use about 1/8 cup per load.

Have wondered if there might be some better solutions to hand and dish soap as well as things like shampoo and deodorant. The laundry soap is working out quite well.

MarilynFiberArt likes this.
  9. Farmer Dave

Farmer Dave Well-Known Member Supporter

Island Pride Carbolic Germicidal Soap. Costs me nothing because my company is the mid west distributor. ;) It sells for $1.89 per bar on my website.

10. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Jergens Bar soap, getting harder to find though, Walgreen's has it occasionally, otherwise I have to buy it online. Used to be in every store.

11. Vosey

Vosey Well-Known Member

I used to use Jergens as well, cheap and great for sensitive skin. Now I use Yardley English Lavender, $2 a bar, lasts awhile. It reminds me of my grandmother. DH uses peppermint Bronners for everything.

12. JamieCatheryn

JamieCatheryn Well-Known Member

Homemade castile blend or tallow blend, costs come to about $1 or so a bar plus time.

NostalgicGranny and Janis R like this.
  13. YorkieMom

YorkieMom New Member

Castile Soap.....bar & liquid. Love it! :) I order it from Lehman's.

14. ChristieAcres

ChristieAcres Well-Known Member Supporter

Goats Milk Soap from Hidden Brook Farm:

http://www.hiddenbrookfarm.net/

It is almost time to order again and I can highly recommend this great soap and her other products!

15. AverageJo

AverageJo Well-Known Member Supporter

I make my own bar soap and sell it at the farm and farmer markets ($4-5 a bar). Dawn dishwashing liquid, All laundry detergent for the farm clothes and home-made soap for the light laundry, and whatever's on sale for shampoo.

16. Horseyrider

Horseyrider Well-Known Member

My daughter used to make soap to sell, and she was a perfectionist so I got lots of the bars that had flaws. I'm in soap forEVAH.

For laundry detergent and fabric softener I use Mrs Meyer's. Same with dish soap. For the dishwasher I use some sort of Polmolive eco stuff I get at the Dollar store. Works every bit as well as the expensive stuff and is kinder to my septic. I think the dishwasher soap is like $2 a bottle, maybe a bit more. The laundry detergent comes from Amazon for about $14 for 64 loads; I buy a case of six jugs and have Prime so I don't pay shipping. I don't remember what the dish soap costs, and the bar soap costs a few jars of pickles now and again. ;)

17. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Just curious, why you don't want lard based soaps??

I make my own. I make the old fashioned soap which is lard, lye, & water. I replace the water with goat milk & add a little coconut oil for lather. I also use this in the laundry. Grate it down & melt it to make a liquid/gel soap. Works great on stains.

18. FarmChix

FarmChix Well-Known Member

I'm not the person who you asked about the lard-based soaps, but I can tell you why I don't use them. *smile* I used to make lard and tallow soaps with my Gma. Found out that they actually clog pores and cause blackheads. The end. LOL

19. Big Dave

Big Dave Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the response. Keep them coming. Support folks that live your same life style if you can.

Coco and redneckswife like this.
  20. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Well-Known Member

My family does not use or eat any products that come from pigs.