Soap making

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Quiver0f10, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

I plan to order some glycerin and molds to make some soap. I am wondering though about measurements. The glycerin is sold in 2# blocks and the molds I have in mind are four on one sheet and each mold is 3.25 X 2.25 X 1.5. I don't know how much of the 2# block I will need to make each set of 4 molds of soap.

I am sure once I get going I will be fine but I want to make sure to order enough supplies to start.

Thanks!

2. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Try using water to fill the molds to capacity then pouring the water into a measuring cup. Should give you a starting point.
    HTH :)

3. If you cook hamburger you can also make a nice hand soap from saving the drippings and recycling them hamburger greese lye and water.

4. Quiver0f10

Thank you for the tip on filling the molds with water to measure. What I am wondering though is how many bars will the 2# of glycerin make.

I don't really wish to do lye as I have a house full of small children and it makes me nervous.

5. can't make soap without lye you can remelt reviously made soap but thats it.

6. there are several internet sites on soapmaking. to answer the question you would need to also post your recipe as glycerine content may vary quite a bit from one recipe to another. Some recipes will give an idea of how much you will get when done often also in weight rather than volume.

7. if you are starting with glycerine soap and remelting to get a rough idea it is probably fairly close to water in weight/volume most soap sinks but just barely. and so the old saying a pints a pound the world around might get you close. one advantage to the molds with 4 bqars is if you dont have enough you can just fill 2 or 3 of them. also if you look what is the average bar of soap labeled 4-5 oz? so odds are you get about 4 bars to the lb

8. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Quiver0f9,
    A bar that size will weigh over 6oz.... I just cut a slab off of the melt & pour soap base I carry and cut it down to 3.25 X 2.25 X 1" and it weighed roughly 6.5oz. if that helps :cool:

"Unregistered", you are correct soap cannot be made without lye. With little ones around the home I wouldn't advise a cold process method. Melt & pour base is a safe/fun alternative. :D

9. Quiver0f10

Thank you everyone! We are looking forward to getting started soon and my girls are excited to try making soap!

10. Soap

Soap Well-Known Member

You will find that 100% glycerine soap is very water soluble and will not last very long with little ones because is "melts" fast :)

Instead of doing "Melt & Pour" glycerine soap, you buy Cold Process soap bases that are made to be rebatched. These bases are made with just oil, water and lye, but have been aged properly so there is no sting. The rebatching process is a little different than Melt & Pour, but you can find instructions and CP soap bases at this site:

http://www.brambleberry.com/supplies.html#rebatch

For little kids and others with sensitive skin, I would recommend getting the
    100% olive oil castille soap. It only uses olive oil, water and lye and the resulting soap is very mild and easy on the skin. It doesn't make big bubbles, but it works great. 100% olive oil castille does take a little longer to harden, but
    once it is hard it will last a long time.

Brambleberry is an excellent vendor and I have ordered from them often.
    good luck
    -m