Soap Making

Discussion in 'Goats' started by hoovershounds, Dec 29, 2006.

1. hoovershounds

hoovershounds Well-Known Member

Any soap makers on here? I have been wanting to make a batch & have found a recipe that sounds good but I am not sure how much lye to use. Here is the recipe
    6 cups goat milk
    4 cups lard
    ??? Lye
    2 Cups ground oatmeal
    1/2 cup honey
    The original recipe said to use one can of some brand of lye but now that lye is harder to come by, I am not sure if the cans would be the same size as what the other person used so I would feel more comfortable knowing a liquid or dry measurment.
    Thanks
    Amy

2. apirlawz

apirlawz playing in the dirt

If the original recipe called for "a can", it was likely referring to the old Red Devil lye, which came in an 18 oz can.

Looking at this recipe, I'd strongly caution against using it as it's written. The measurements appear to be way off to say the least. It calls for more lye than I use in a 7.5 lb oil batch! And, with the amount of goatmilk and honey compared to fats, you'd have a heck of a chemistry experiment on your hands!

If you are looking for a good oatmeal, milk and honey recipe, there are lots out there that are much safer than this one. And, whatever recipe you use, be sure run it through a lye calculator. It can seem redundant, but it's nice to be sure! There are quite a few good lye calculators out there...here's one

3. sunnygrl

sunnygrl Well-Known Member

the recipe you have is not really a good one... If you are wanting to make a milk soap just use that in place of your water, but you will need to freeze it first to avoid it scorching or burning. If you make a soap out of lard only it will be lacking in bubbly lather, adding a little bit of coconut will help some with this. you can find it in the cooking oil section at walmart.

here are a couple of recipes based on the ingredients you posted.
    100 % lard
    this is for one lb. of oils (all ingredients should be measured by weight)
    16 oz of lard
    2.15 oz of lye
    6 oz. of liquid

lard and coconut
    13.5 oz lard
    2.5 oz coconut
    2.25 oz lye
    6 oz of liquid

you can add the honey and oatmeal , but I would limit the amounts you use as the honey will also cause it to overheat, and prob. a Tb. or 2 of ground oatmeal for this size of batch would be oodles.
    www.millersoap.com is a good place to cruise around to learn about soap making... please go there first if you have never made soap, there are some serious safety issues that you need to be aware of.

4. hoovershounds

hoovershounds Well-Known Member

thanks for the info. I was really worried about getting the ingredients right & i am glad i asked before I tried it.
    Amy