soap making

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Macruari, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Macruari

Macruari Macruari

Do any of you make goats milk soap? I have a book and recipe but was just wondering if it is easy? or a little tricky?

thanks

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

It depends on your definition of easy, I suppose. Yes, it's pretty easy. But it's time consuming and precise measurements, by weight, are needed.

Weigh the milk and then freeze it first. Sprinkle the lye over the chunked frozen milk. It will thaw! But this will prevent the milk from scorching and turning a dark brown. I get a gorgeous caramelly color this way, unless I add other coloring agents.

Just be careful with the lye and be sure to have vinegar handy at all times for hands, counter-tops, tables, etc...if you splash, douse it immediately with vinegar! But try not to splash at all. :)

I get my best soaps using a 100 ounce combination of 12 ounces coconut oil, lard or tallow, and maybe 10 ounces of olive oil. Nice, hard, lathery bars that do wonders for your skin.

Hope that helps.

Sarah

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

The only time I have a hard time with the goats milk soap is when I make a larger batch. My best one was simple - 1 pound lard, 2 oz lye, 3/4 cups goats milk. I know the goats milk isn't by weight but it works! If I'm using a recipe like this one I fill the cup with milk frozen in ice cube trays to 3/4 cup then add liquid milk till it reaches 3/4 cup.

I'm making all my christmas scented soaps now - Nummy!

kids

4. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

Don't mean to jump your thread-but where do you find cocoanut oil-olive oil-that is cost effective? The cheapest i found was $7.95/16 oz. olive oil-$5.95/16 oz. cocoanut oil-i like the soap i make w/lard/lye/goats milk/oatmeal/honey-but would love to try the more "fancy" recipes-all call for the above oils-isn't there any that just use plain ole vegetable oil? :shrug:

5. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I get the coconut oil from brambleberry.com in a big bucket - 35 pounds, I think, for $50 or so (can't remember from the last time since it lasts quite a while), with shipping... The olive oil I get in gallon jugs form Sam's Club. The price keeps going up, but it's still the cheapest way to go for olive oil...I think it's somewhere around $18 now for a gallon. Used to be only $12.

Plain old vegetable oil doesn't work well for a good set for hard bars. Every oil is different, but if you get a bottle that has a single ingredient, then you can calculate how much lye to use a whole lot easier! I've also had good luck using the Crisco shortening and nothing else, but it doesn't lather up as nicely without the coconut oil...

Sarah

6. Macruari

Macruari Macruari

Thanks for the advice and tips.
    Another question. How easy is it to find lye? Where do I look? Brand names?

thanks again

7. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

try looking at Lowe's. make sure it is 100% lye, with NO OTHER INGREDIENTS.

i use a no cook recipe i'll send you if you want-and an electric mixer to mix it. i never freeze my milk-i get a very pale cream bar by the time it cures, and can use it the next day.

8. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I make it all the time. Sell it too. I don't think it's hard, as long as you're careful and follow the instructions.

Lye is getting hard to find, but there are sources. I buy it in 100 pound increments though. Saves a ton of money. This is where I get it. It's local for me, but I do believe they do mail order. http://www.postapplescientific.com/

Ruth