Soap keeps away deer...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ourfather, Sep 19, 2005.

1. ourfather

ourfather Well-Known Member

When I was home this summer I planted some Jubilee tomatoes and zuchinni (spelling). We've always had a problem with deer eating our plants until my mom did a soap trick.

She bought some Antibacterial Dial, wrapped it up in mesh, and hung it off the tomato suppport stand. We never had a deer come , plus it caught all kinds of insects.

Has anyone else used the Dial soap techinque? :baby04:

Kat

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I've read that somewhere. I wonder if it will work long term. Although at this point, I need to get rid of a woodchuck more :help:

3. ourfather

ourfather Well-Known Member

Cool, I don't know. My mom has had the soap out there since around May and it's seemed to do fine. Once I left back overseas then the zucchini started to grow :) lol They just waited until I left. My parents use Earth Boxes since the soil is so gnarley back home.

I dont think I've ever seen a woodchuck :) lol We have badgers around here and some wild foxes. Plus the biggest pet wild Bunny :D He's massive from all those magical carrots left in the snow for him :sing: lol (I didn't really overfeed him, although he ate my MIL's trees. lol)

Kat

4. mikee22712

mikee22712 Member

I have heard of using a soap that has a strong smell or perfum to it.Tie the soap with string and run the string through the bottom of a can and tie it up.when the breeze blows it will rattle and when it rains it will wash the soap and the smell will be there the deer accoate the smell with humans and dont want to be near it for long (thing we used dove soap)

5. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Someone had that tip on here before...the Dial Soap technique...maybe it was you? Deb

6. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

A nursery gave me that tip. Said it kept the deer from eating their trees. I used Irish Spring the most but changed to somethng else halfway thru the summer. The deer get used to one scent so if you have a lot of deer problems change soaps once in a while. I broke the bars in thirds and put them in cut up panty hose. A hammer and a screw driver will break the bars.

7. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I put irish spring soap out in an attempt to keep our pet deer out of the garden, and he just ate it.