Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new at the soap making thing and need some help.... i guess lots of help any way i made my first batch of goat milk soap and wow what a disaster lye solution everywhere!! big chunks .... you name it ... well any way i tried again and every thing went better but now I'm read to take out of mold now what cut and dry or do i have to rebatch this ...
when can i add color and or smells to the soap??
any anybody have good recipes to help a beginner out, keep in mind I'm true beginner and need things spelled out like for a 3 year old.... :1pig:

·
Registered
913 Posts
If the second batch turned out ok, then I see no reason to rebatch it. What recipe did you use? I can give you tips on how to improve it if I know your recipe.

You asked when to add color and scent. Well, that should happen before you pour it, unless you made this soap specifically to rebatch it. In that case rebatch sooner rather than later because it is easier when the soap is soft.

You can use goat's milk in pretty much any recipe instead of the water. I find that the best way to do it is to pour the GM into ice cube trays and then weigh out the same amount of GM ice cubes as the recipe calls for water. Add your lye to the frozen goat's milk slowly. I often do this in ice water bath, to keep the GM from turning orange. It's not the end of the world if it does turn orange but you will end up with a lighter colored soap if you prevent it. Also if it scorches a bit (turns orange) it will have a funky smell for a couple of weeks. Also, not the end of the world.

The chunks in your lye solution you mentioned in your first batch were probably the milk fat in the GM saponifying, or turning to soap. Do you use a stick blender when you soap? If so the chunks will be blended out when you add the lye milk to the fats.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the first recipe i found seemed simple 13 cups fat 1 small can lye 1/2 cup honey 4cup milk 1 cup hot water
mix hot water and honey then i added the milk then i slowly added the lye this mix turned dark brown to black in color and the smell was nasty then i melted fat i used lard and it said to mix together at lye at 75 degrees and oil at 85 degrees i couldn't get the temps that low this didn't seam to trace and i mixed for over an hour.... pour in the mold it seamed to seperate and had like brown gel spots in it....
so then i found a recipe
6 lb crisco 12oz lye 2 cup water and at trace to add 12 oz milk then i mixed at temps of 105 degrees now i understand freezing milk to keep from burning but will this also keep from chunking up?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
the milk & honey made it hot-that is why you had to wait for lower temps.You basically curdled it. Did you double check your weights and do a lye calculator as well? Always best to try few simple recipes before going for hotter mixes. It does make it a lot easier.

·
Registered
913 Posts
You are listing measurements in cups, so I'm assuming you don't have a scale? I am really reluctant to try to talk you through soaping without a way to precisely measure your ingredients. How are you measuring your lye? What are you calling 12 oz? You said your first recipe said 13 cups of fat? It didn't specify which fat?
Please go read www.millersoap.com and get a good idea of what you are doing. Soapmaking can be dangerous and so can your product if you don't know what you are doing. Always run every recipe through a lye calculator like www.soapcalc.com because you can't trust any recipe from any source to be accurate. Also, I think a digital scale is pretty much a necessity. Others may disagree, but in a small recipe a few grams can make the difference between a 5% superfat and a 0% superfat. Plus, if you are just starting out, then wasting 6# of oils on a screwed up batch can get expensive.
That second recipe has about a 9% superfat. Which is good in that it's not going to be lye heavy and won't hurt you. But, it's not going to lather well and it's not going to clean well. I really, really recommend millersoap.com. You will find some good beginner recipes and will get a better understanding of the soapmaking process.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i do have a digital scale......the only item at this point I don't have is the stick blender this is on next pay period get list....like I said I had a mess here the first batch ...good thing i was smart enough to take the lye outside because it boiled over went every where.....
i did find a easy to use lye calc the goat milk is in the freezer I was going to add coconut oil to the second recipe make the change of all the milk to the lye instead of adding at trace..... I realy do thank you for taking the time to help me this was a project started to use up extra milk .... and a gift giving idea for Christmas ............
my hubby and I started to become self sufficient we raise our meat i taught myself to can my veggies out of the garden , make my own jam&jellies ... i just didn't realize soap was a whole difernt ballgame

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you hovey hollow for your help .. this was suppose to be a fun adventure like this is no problem....i just didn't realize all the this and the thats of soap... I have done so much in my life that family thought this would be just one more thing she CAN do I do want to learn i have put a fair amount into the start up of soaping that i just can't quit now the second batch i made was fun and relaxing besides i have 50 lbs of lye to use up
my hubby EXPECTS me to learn how and master like I do best.....

·
Registered
913 Posts
sammyd said:
yes i do have a digital scale......the only item at this point I don't have is the stick blender this is on next pay period get list....like I said I had a mess here the first batch ...good thing i was smart enough to take the lye outside because it boiled over went every where.....
i did find a easy to use lye calc the goat milk is in the freezer I was going to add coconut oil to the second recipe make the change of all the milk to the lye instead of adding at trace..... I realy do thank you for taking the time to help me this was a project started to use up extra milk .... and a gift giving idea for Christmas ............
my hubby and I started to become self sufficient we raise our meat i taught myself to can my veggies out of the garden , make my own jam&jellies ... i just didn't realize soap was a whole difernt ballgame
What oils do you have on hand? I'll make up a recipe for you that will get you a hard bar, with good lather, but with a bit of cleansing. Coconut oil is good, but I wouldn't go over 20-25% with it or it can be drying. Canola is a nice conditioning oil, but it can go rancid fast so I limit that to 20% as well. Do you have castor oil? At as little as 5% it really adds to the creamy lather. Olive oil, while a bit expensive always seems to be the main oil in my soaps.
Lard is a good one. Crisco.........ehh.......it's OK. It's a bit more work to measure out several oils, but I think a combination of oils/fats makes for a well balanced bar. Let me know what you've got access to and we can work out a good recipe for you.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i got mineral oil , lard , olive oil ,almost any things form grocery store,or Walmart kind of oil just want to keep cost down kind of thing......thank you again for your help ...feeling stupid when stupid is outside grassing on pasture and I sure don't look like him!!??>>!!?? he's got horns I got lots of wonderful curls !!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
OK.....try this--this is for a 3# batch. If you need to resize it just punch it back into soapcalc.com and change the batch size.

Lard--30%---14.4 oz or 408 grams
Olive-30%---14.4 oz or 408 grams
Coconut oil--20%--9.6 oz or 272 grams
Canola oil--15%--7.2 oz or 204 grams
Castor oil--5%--2.4 oz or 68 grams

You can get castor in 4 oz bottles at the Wal-Mart pharmacy or a health food store might have it. If you don't want to use castor you can change the Canola to 20%--9.6 oz or 272 grams. It will reduce both the fluffy lather and the creamy lather a bit, but will still make a nice bar.

HTH
Dee

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for your help I'm going to give it a try sometime today.... got to catch up on chores before I can play though....darn chores they all ways ruin my fun time

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts