soap beveler?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by longhorngal, Jul 11, 2006.

1. longhorngal

longhorngal Well-Known Member Supporter

I see websites where I can buy these but since my husband whipped me up a nice milking stand several weeks ago I figure he could make a beveler for me in a fraction of the time :) .

Does anyone know of a link or have instructions to share on how to make one? A vegetable peeler just isn't getting it for me.

Thanks
    Cara

2. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing as you. I could make one. I tryed everywhere and spent money on other solutions. Finally I broke down and got a beveler and I sure am glad it seems so much faster to clean the soap up and they are the same everytime. If you do find a site with instructions great but don't waste your time if not. Who ever made these guards their secret very well!

jr05

3. longhorngal

longhorngal Well-Known Member Supporter

They just don't look all that hard to make! I will probably have to break down and buy one. Which one did you get?

Cara

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Think woodworking planes and bevelers, don't go spending money on anything labeled for soap! I got mine for $5 it's made of wood, I can take the cutter out to sharpen and clean it. I also hate the look I get with a potatoe peeler. Look in old tool boxes at flea markets, or perhaps out in your husbands shop? But it is nothing more than an angled piece of metal, mine in wood, and I have seen one in very hard plastic for sale on a soap board for $25!! :) Vicki

5. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

I got mine from TLC soaps and sundries on line. They make to order so it could take some time if they don't have one already made.

jr05

6. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

To be honest? I stopped beveling (sp) a long time ago. Customers don't complain and I don't have all those shavings left. Just my input *shrug*