Homesteading Forum banner

Pick who we should sale

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m selling some calves very soon and I’m wondering on who I should keep back so I’m gonna make a poll and I’ll put who’s a bull and who’s a heifer we don’t always keep our heifers but it’s up to everyone !
heres our spotted bull 5-6 months old
24294357-1B9C-45F5-B744-DC0D67724714.jpeg

Our black bull 7-8 months old
3EAE4F39-9736-4C91-AC6A-E0C5870C10D1.jpeg

A full white heifer 3-4 weeks old
927F563A-DAA9-4C73-A644-F9366E4E3140.jpeg

Our tan and white heifer calf 4-5 months
C7C3FB76-DC89-4AC2-9C70-D0911D2C92BA.jpeg

Our bull calf 4-5 months tan with a bit of white
B3C20C4C-5CD6-493E-BDD4-ACC8FD38F3AE.jpeg
our pure red heifer calf 1-2 months old
Milkdud our pure brown Jenny with white muzzle
9E60B03A-67BE-44F0-8228-E5A2CC80DDD8.jpeg

DEA41C05-23AA-4EA0-B5B5-CB09173903B3.jpeg
our brown and black bull calf
F39CBBBE-3E3A-4FEB-B906-0FB03811CB97.jpeg
black and brown bull calf

Attachments

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
If you have the room to increase the size of your herd, sell the bull calves and keep the heifers.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What breed(s) are they and what are your goals?
Some of them are angus , some of them are Hereford/angus cross we have a bunch of different breeds in our herd that I couldn’t give you an exact answer of what all we have becuase I had a brangus heifer didn’t even look like she had and Brahma in her but yeah she was sure brangus

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do think for sure house we’re keeping the red heifer because she has the body of a bull 😂

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,211 Posts
I do think for sure house we’re keeping the red heifer because she has the body of a bull 😂
If you mean beefy and stocky, that's one thing, but you don't want a cow to have the characteristics of a bull just as you wouldn't want feminine characteristics in a bull. You want the females to have traits like wide hips and good udders.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you mean beefy and stocky, that's one thing, but you don't want a cow to have the characteristics of a bull just as you wouldn't want feminine characteristics in a bull. You want the females to have traits like wide hips and good udders.
That’s what is was trying to say she just looks good she still looks feminine

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
"Pick who we should SELL"

I like the Jenny foal. It is adorable.

Your optimal herd goals are not the same as my optimal herd goals. There is no way I would attempt to advise you about who needs to go.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Pick who we should SELL"

I like the Jenny foal. It is adorable.

Your optimal herd goals are not the same as my optimal herd goals. There is no way I would attempt to advise you about who needs to go.
Thank you what are your goals?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I chose all of them because it seems you and your dad have an awful lot of animals that arent serving a purpose. Just curious, why do you have bull calves and not steer calves?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I chose all of them because it seems you and your dad have an awful lot of animals that arent serving a purpose. Just curious, why do you have bull calves and not steer calves?
Becuase all these calves were born this year? They get sold to the sell barn so some of them might get bred with someone else’s heifers and actually they do serve us a purpose they feed us

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And we don’t really have that many animals tbh.... we have 50 cattle , 3 sheep , 6 goats ... and 3 dogs....

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And 3 donkeys gonna be 2 donkeys after we sell that female Jenny donkey well make maybe 50 bucks off her

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But my one question what did you mean by they are not serving a purpose?

·
Premium Member
41,896 Posts
It sounds to me like a cattle ranch/farm operation. They sell a calf crop every year which translates to good money in the bank. At least mine did. With 7-8 cows and a bull I had 7-8 calves to sell each year. Average sale price of $500 each, minus cost of fuel for cutting hay, minor vet supply’s, equip repairs etc I was able to clear 3-4 thousand each year. Bull calves sell for nearly as much as steers,wasn’t worth the difference to castrate them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts