Homesteading Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
No you do not have to collect the honey if you only want pollinators. Unless you had a good stack of deeps they would probably swarm a lot as the queen needs room to lay. That is there natural way to increase populations.

If you want the honey we collect twice a year. First time late June early July second time just before Labor day week end.

:D Al

·
Registered
128 Posts
No you do not have to collect the honey if you only want pollinators. Unless you had a good stack of deeps they would probably swarm a lot as the queen needs room to lay. That is there natural way to increase populations.

If you want the honey we collect twice a year. First time late June early July second time just before Labor day week end.

Thank you I might eventually start collecting the honey but right now I just want a little extra help to make sure everything else gets done with my garden

·
Super Moderator
12,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Sure seems funny not many people have ever seen a flow hive and you sure don't read about them in any of the bee forums I read and belong to.

Even here on this site most think it is a gimic to sell people junk.

If I were a new person wanting to get into honeyu bees I would contact the states honey bee club. even the regional club and find a near by club and join it. shut up and learn at the meetings devlope friend ships with people with long time experince and pick their brains for information.

I am still in bussiness today because of bee club friends.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Loved keeping bee's..
I had a chance to pickup a bunch of used hives from a friend that just wanted them gone. Had hives that thrived during the summer and would loose them during the winter. Biggest problem I would have was the bears and hornets. Electric fence helped with the bears and me standing out there with a fly swatter worried the hornets some.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Biggest question you need to ask your self is are you allergic to bee stings. I don't mean do you swell up and itch like crazy the day after. That is a normal reaction to many people. I'm talking about your tongue swelling up, getting cold sweats, and passing out. If the answer is yes to the last statement then you do not want to keep honey bees. No matter how careful you are you will get stung.

Not going to even mention top bar hives here.

Next question is do you have the money for the first start up cost. First start up cost is going to be between $500.00 and $800.00 which depends on if you buy all your hive equipment from a supplier or build your own. For example one boughten hive body is $18.25 plus shipping and I recommend you have 4. I buy 1x12x8 boards at Lowes for $8.25 one board will make one hive body and the frame for a top cover and a nice bit left over for an inter cover too.
I recommend you start with two colonies so you can compare them and even pull brood from one strong one to perk up a weak one. I recommend you do not by a starter kit from the suppliers as it only has half of what you need for one year of keeping one colony and some stuff you just don't need.
Buy a book, I recommend Bee Keeping for Dummies, you can find it or order it at most book stores.
After you get some bees I recommend ABC XYZ of beekeeping. A new edition is now out and selling for $40.00. I recommend you look on www.bookfinder.com for a used copy for many dollars less. One from the 80's will have things about the Vorra mites.

And yes it is we, Kare is not just a wife who goes to bee meetings with me.

Kare with a package of bees.

Kare pointing out the queen.

She is even the sole owner of her very own colony she won with raffle tickets she bought at the 2005 bee conference.

Now time for you to digest the above.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts