So who's tasted real moonshine?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by moopups, Dec 1, 2006.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I have on two occasions in other states. It was very smooth compared to what is considered legally purchased alcohol. I think the distillers should take lessons from the people whom make moonshine.

Why is legal to make beer or wine but not hard liquor? They are all similar, accomplish the same effect, are made in a very similar way. What makes hard liquor so different?

While we are on this subject, my favorite is Drambuie, a scotch based blend containing anise (liquorish flavored herb) and honey. It is said that only one person knows the true blend of ingredients, the oldest female (my spell check will not furnish the correct word) of the family. As each passes away the formula is passed down to the next senior person. Finical security I guess.

Drambuie is a very smooth flowing spirit but at $35.00 per .750 ml I cannot justify it very often.

2. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had it once or twice. I'ts been so long (or I was so drunk) that I won't remember what it was like.

Drambuie is the nectar of the gods, IMO.

3. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

I have 2 Uncles who have been making "Shine" all of their lives. Experience makes all the difference! I am sooooo greatful for the allowance of good stuff I get from them. They don't sell any of it anymore so that keeps em under the radar of the Feds. It is all given away to family/friends. :hobbyhors

4. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

You can legally make 'shine.

Just not a bunch of it, and it cannot be sold.

5. sweetcountrygrl

sweetcountrygrl Well-Known Member

I did once. It was STRONG stuff. lol

6. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

I've had some that stunk something awful but boy was it smooth! Dangerous, too--you'd be snockered before you knew it.

7. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

The main reason it is illegal to make large quantities of it is because the Fed isn't getting any tax income off of it. You can make up to 10,000 gallons a year for use as a fuel. You have to poison it to make it unfit for consumption though. I don't know how much one can legally make a year for consumption.

8. wildhorse

wildhorse Well-Known Member

Ive had more than my share thanks to my step-dad he made me drink some because I fussed about him leaving it sitting around and I had to do dishes he poured what was left in the dish water and boy did it stink he wouldn't let me change the water either. If that weren't bad enough he let my then 2 yr old sister turn up a glass of it I fussed at him and took my sister outside she turned pale and started throwing up not to mention its a lot of fun taking care of a drunk 2 yr old. Nasty stuff in my opinion. :flame:

9. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I've had the Irish version, Poitín (also called poteen). Whew, you could be gone just inhaling the fumes. It was smooth stuff though.

10. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Mitch; Would the Granny with the family boose recipe be called the Matriarch??
    Wouldn't it be discouraging if you were that person and the relatives started pressing you to pass the recipe on down? That would be enough to drive you to drink. Die plastered. Blow up more Creamatoriums that way.

11. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Just once. I had a good friend in Nashville who worked as a roadie. His family was from the hills of Kentucky and once a year he brought back some moon shine with him after his yearly family visit. He was kind enough one year to bring a mason jar full of the stuff for me along with a quart jar of cherry bombs (maraschino cherrys soaked in the stuff for 3 months or longer). Oh my, that stuff was good, but it will knock you down faster then anything on this earth. I brought the cherry bombs to a party held by some friends and more then one of the big strong special ops pilots was crawling to the bathroom or passed out dead to the world on the floor.

Nikki

12. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Just once for me........it went down so smooth, but just about knocked me down when I stood up to leave. :eek:

13. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Found out the hard way that it is best to sip a little now and again. Taking a big swig is not the thing to do :nono: !ooohhweee! puts your brain on hold real fast.
    Local brew is some of the best I've ever tasted - burns clear too!

14. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Many years ago I tried a couple of batches. First batch tasted like pure kerosene. Second batch also tasted like kerosene, with lighter fluid mixed in. Didn't ever try a third.

15. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Just once .... at a SCA event. Woke up in the morning by the campfire and people were strewn all over the field, looked like Gettysburg all over again. Won't do THAT again! Oiyyyy!!!!

Kaza

16. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

In the United States you cannot legally make the first drop of distilled spirits for either beverage or fuel purposes even if it's only for private use without that good old government license. It's all there on the ATF website for anyone who wants to Google it up.

I've had shine several times. Only once was it smooth. The other times it would take the lining out of your throat. Skill in manufacture is where it's at.

.....Alan.

17. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

Always keep a few jars of "cough medcine" around the house.
    Just in case I can't get to the doctor, don't ya see? :rolleyes:

18. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Girl, it's that standing up that will kill ya'! :frypan:

19. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Ardie, ain't that the truth! lol

20. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I grew up in a dry county in the northern hills of Alabama. Had my first sip of moonshine when I was 15. Partook of it a few more times after that!