So who sleeps outdoors/ screened porches, ect?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, May 24, 2006.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I have always preferred sleeping on a couch placed on a screened porch, there is something about sleeping with two contact surfaces that has great appeal to me. The outdoor air is so much better also, my grandfather never slept inside of a closed building - his sleeping area was in an enclosed porch without any door, year round - but keep in mind this is Florida. He had a mosquito net for summer, a quilt for winter, a light blanket for in between. He passed with somewhere between 100 and 106, birth date was never established correctly.

Try it, you might like it too much!

2. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

I do after the hurricanes knock the power out. Have spent 3 weeks out on the porch. Sure beats the heat in the house.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Sounds perfect but I live in Ontario so doors are manditory and so is heat, preferably wood!

4. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I like to sleep outside. The night air is just perfect for sleeping.

5. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

When I first moved to Kansas I lived on a 600 acre farm. I pitched a tent in and spent many a night sleeping out there. I prefer sleeping outside, too.

6. Gresford

Gresford Well-Known Member

There's just something about exhilarating about inhaling fresh air. My wife and I are going backpacking this weekend and we are looking forward to living in the outdoors for that short period of time.

7. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

My dream house would have a large screen porch with a bed on it..My sleep porch. I am sure dh will leave me out there, in the heat of summer! AC makes my sinuses hurt and he loves it... He will be out there in the cooler weather ... I can't wait till we build.

8. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

I'd love to sleep on a screened porch, you would just rest better.

9. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

A sleeping porch is one of the first things I'm putting in when we get out to the homestead. I have experienced them myself in the past, and there is nothing like hearing the rustle of the wind in the trees and all the smells and sounds of nature while you are lying there. Ah, bliss.

donsgal

10. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

I've spent too many nights on the couch outside of the bedroom. I should learn how to behave. Actually if we leave this place its one of the thing I'll miss most. We can sleep with the doors wide open and no screens.

11. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

new house plans include a sleeping porch AND and summer kitchen. i get my best sleep when the the katydids sing.

12. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

When I build my new house I was planning on having a sleeping area like that, Our old home In the marshall islands was like that.

13. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Mitch, you mentioned you like sleeping with two contact surfaces. I'm guessing here, but take that to mean you like leaning back against the sofa back while sleeping on your side. Anyway that is how I always sleep. (watching TV) To get proper rest in a bed, I bought a long pillow at China mart. It's about 5 feet long, and 12 inches in diameter. When I go to bed, I put my back against it. Keeps the wind and insects from whistling up my backside. Also prevents me from rolling on my back in my sleep which would cause me to wake up with a broken back feeling. I used to take a blanket out in the yard to sleep on hot nights when I was a kid. About two oclock I'd wake up cold and wet from the heavy dew. Our mongrel dog stayed with me to thwart off Polar and grizzly bears that I thought might be lurking out in the dark. Mountain lions were more frighting. (In Indiana) LOL

14. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I would love to sleep on the porch....but we have bears, panthers and foxes...I might wake up with no toes!

15. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

I've already been eyeing our screened-in porch, dreaming about sleeping out there once summer comes. Can't say as the dh will be thrilled about that, though, so I'll have to limit my forays out there! ;) But ohhhhh, to sleep out there with the full moon shining on myself and the spring-fed pond in the backyard, listening to the stream gurgling, owls hooting, crickets singing......:)

DD

16. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

I had to laugh about the owls hooting. :) We live on 5 very wooded acres so we have owls. Our bedroom is on the back side of the house towards the woods and we sleep with the windows open for all the reasons you do. In the spring when the owls get to doing more than just hooting ;) it's so stinkin' loud out there that it's impossible to sleep!

Nance

17. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Drive into town spend two nights in a motel with wondows open. When you get back home the owls won't bother you any more. It'll seem right peaceful. :D

Kenneth

18. country friend

country friend country friend

My wife and I sleep outdoors in camper next to house most nights in the summer . When the grandkids are here sleep back at campground half mile back from the house . The beds are even with the windows and lets in all the kool night air .
    This year I have got a big black tub to fill up with water to get warm during the day so I can relax in the tub after working on the farm all day .
    Indiana Country Friend Jack Bunyard

19. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't really want to hijack this but....What kind of bed /sleeping item do you find appealing for your sleep porch??? Yrs. ago I found a picture of a mattress on a full sheet of 1" plywood and it was hanging from the rafters with chains!!! It is so great but could I 'swing' all night or wake up w/ sea-sicknees?????

20. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

I have our old couch on the porch. It's one of those overstuffed things. I really miss it in the house, but it was getting a little worn-looking. This little 'contemporary' one (ie, not from the 1980's like my fav one! LOL) we have now is just not the same. I like a couch I can sink into. Sadly, so does my lab, she makes sure I don't get too comfy: she lays on my legs.

I'm not sure what type of owl it is that I'm hearing at night. It's not one of the loud honkers like at our old place. This is a soft gentle "whoot, whoot". We do have a smaller breed of owl here (sorry, can't recall their name), maybe that's what it is. Some owls though are quite loud. This little guy sounds very close to the house, must have a favourite perch close by, never seen him though.

DD