Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll probably never take them from my mom but my in-laws house is quite small and their table quite short. Since the family keeps expanding it is now impossible to all sit together for meals at their house. It's not at mine though. So I took over Thanksgiving last year and this year I'm trying to take Christmas Dinner too.

If you've had meals taken from you did you dislike it? There's nothing wrong with their cooking or anything, we've just outgrown their house.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Our family Christmas is still at my parents house on Christmas Eve

·
Registered
264 Posts
Our family Christmas was always hosted by my grandparents. My grandmother cooked and baked everything, with my mom and me by her side. After she lost mobility and grew weak, we would still go down and do the dirty work as she supervised.

This is our second Christmas without her, and we are preparing it as a team effort for guests. Mom doesn't want all the burden and I love helping her cook Gran's prized dishes!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
The first few years we were married my MIL did a Thanksgiving dinner and then nada. It just stopped without warning. My mother just never really enjoyed doing that kind of thing. She loved coming to dinner and being a part of family stuff but not doing it herself so from the get go of our marriage I pretty much just knew I did it or it didn't get done for us and our children. My parents and grandparents usually came. With my own kids now we do every other years switching off Christmas and Thanksgiving so that they can go to their inlaws on the off years. None of the kids have offered to do it so I will keep on until they tell me to stop. I enjoy it and even more because I got a message from our oldest daughter last night. It said that her daughter (7 years old) was at her dad and his g/f for their weekend and they took her to church. The church had a Thanksgiving dinner with turkey, etc. My daughter asked her if it was good and she said well mom I didn't eat but a bite because it didn't taste like grandma's.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,128 Posts
Christmas will always be at my Mom's. We have always had more people than could fit on one table. Usually three or more tables. Presents and breakfast at individual homes. Dinner at Mom's, everyone bringing something or going over to help. It is the family home and the hub of all activities.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've suggested to my inlaws that knocking down the wall between the dining room and the unused office would provide enough space for everyone but they aren't home fix it peeps. As it is they live in a double wide and there are now 13 people so it's just not big enough. Last year my BIL angrily sat in the recliner in front of the TV because they were out of chairs.

Funnily my parents actually moved so they would have a house big enough to fit everyone, which is 25 people.

I've kind of cheated since the layout of our house made it better to have the kids playroom in the dining room and thus the table is in the new "dining room" which was meant to be a formal living room. We all fit very comfortably at my table. When it has 2 leaves in, it seats 12, and I have a kids table.

DH's brothers are unmarried so they don't cook or bring food but my SIL is married and she brings dessert, which is kind of terrible because she's a health nut. :p I cook my favorites because boxed mashed potatoes and gravy out of a can are just not the sort of things I want to be eating. A food snob I am! Last year we cooked the turkey because it was one of our own raised turkeys and it was 40lbs. It took the entire oven! Everyone else had to bring the fixings. lol

Anyway, this year my MIL asked me to host Thanksgiving but I'm attempting to take over Christmas and I'm not sure how well that will be met. They just don't have the space! I wish they did, but they don't.

·
Dallas
13,851 Posts
We got sick of family fights over who was spending time with which family (mainly my mother whining that she wasn't getting equal time) that finally about 4 years into our marriage, we said enough was enough and we were starting our own family traditions and would not be going anywhere on Thanksgiving or Christmas. That we would spend 2-3 hours the weekend before Christmas with one family and 2-3 hours the weekend after with the other and no one would see us for Thanksgiving.

Worked out great, eventually we moved halfway across the country - twice, and later both sets of parents passed and we already had our own family traditions in place.

Neither DW nor I really care for Turkey so we usually have a good steak dinner on the grill (the one time we buy the expensive steaks), occasionally lobster (or both) but we'll still make the traditional fixings (southern style sweet potato casserole, dressing/gravy, pecan pie, etc)

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Took over the cooking for my folks about 5 years before they went to nursing home. Lived across the pasture so no big deal. Still ate at their house. Now I'm the one that cooks for the family. Don't know what will happen when it gets too much for me, poor DD never has learned to cook much, wants me to cater her affairs at my house even, lol. DS lives out of state, and I ain't gonna leave this one to visit.

When I was a kid, all meals were at my parents house for both sides. We lived in the country and had a bigger house. Kid table in the kitchen and adults in dining room, ate in shifts. Occasionally, we went to Grandpa's house for a couple of years for Christmas, but the sister's and momma got to complaining that it was to hard to go in to his kitchen and cook a big meal, always having to send someone to the store or back to another house to get something that he didn't have.

I was in college when some of the cousins decided to start their own family traditions all at once. We went from 30 people out here to 3 in one fell swoop. BIG letdown for Momma and Daddy, who had always been the host and hostess for probably 40 years running.

Ed

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Our family Christmas is still at my parents house on Christmas Eve
So what do you do on Chritmas Day? Just your personal family?? We have 3 Christmases on Christmas day. We do our personal family in the morning, then to my parents for lunch, then in laws for dinner. That is how EVERY SINGLE holiday is. ****!

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh that would make me kind of sad. Maybe not if my mother drove me nuts though. As is my grandma loves to critisize everything so I bring wine to family events!

We got sick of family fights over who was spending time with which family (mainly my mother whining that she wasn't getting equal time) that finally about 4 years into our marriage, we said enough was enough and we were starting our own family traditions and would not be going anywhere on Thanksgiving or Christmas. That we would spend 2-3 hours the weekend before Christmas with one family and 2-3 hours the weekend after with the other and no one would see us for Thanksgiving.

Worked out great, eventually we moved halfway across the country - twice, and later both sets of parents passed and we already had our own family traditions in place.

Neither DW nor I really care for Turkey so we usually have a good steak dinner on the grill (the one time we buy the expensive steaks), occasionally lobster (or both) but we'll still make the traditional fixings (southern style sweet potato casserole, dressing/gravy, pecan pie, etc)

·
Registered
512 Posts
My sister and I sort of took over holidays by default after our mom decided she didn't want to be part of the family any more. I was 21, my sister 19. 2 stepmothers have come and gone since, and it's worked out best that we continued to do the hosting. With my in-laws, it was pretty much from the first Thanksgiving onward. Tiny kitchen, big table, big chairs, big people, no thanks.

·
plains of Colorado
4,155 Posts
We took over thanksgiving the year MIL & her hubby cooked the turkey in the microwave...OMG...BAD!!! Everyone is gone now and we are trying to decide what to do for xmas with husband's 2 sisters that say they are coming to Colorado. I really think we will just go out to dinner...it won't be on xmas and that would make it easy on all of us.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We took over thanksgiving the year MIL & her hubby cooked the turkey in the microwave...OMG...BAD!!! Everyone is gone now and we are trying to decide what to do for xmas with husband's 2 sisters that say they are coming to Colorado. I really think we will just go out to dinner...it won't be on xmas and that would make it easy on all of us.
I think I'm most impressed that they managed to fit a turkey in the micro!!!!

P.S. You can come to my house! lol

·
This is my life
3,864 Posts
by the time I was married about 5 years I suggested I could start hosting every other thanksgiving, it was met with raised eyebrows and was told she would think about it. I worked at an ER at the time and thought since I got every other one off we could just switch off..... She just couldn't do it LOL on the first 2 years that it was my turn she just had to get a turkey 'because the sale was to good to pass up' cooked it up and took the whole dinner to the ER 'because no one deserves to miss thanksgiving dinner'. 20 years later she has admitted that cooking for the family is to much for her and my house is better set up for the group that is normally at least a dozen people so we have been having consistantly at my home for about 5 years. Because my MIL passed before we married we never had the tug of war, just let FIL know that he was always welcome. Christmas is normally a small house hold dinner.

·
-Melissa
995 Posts
with my family, we're really tight. aunts, uncles, cousins, (2nd and even 3rd cousins now!). well, due to unfortunate circumstances, the 30+ family members have dwindled down to upper teens (the next generation is starting to have kids again) but we, as a family, weren't sure how to deal with so few people. so we invite inlaws! my MIL and FIL; SIL and her husband and their 3 kids; have invited DHs aunt, but she hasn't come to one "yet". we also badger friends w/o anything to do into coming. just anyone we can sucker into it really. My cousins wife's in-laws will be there this Christmas and the other cousins wife's (my BFF) half brother and his wife & 1.5 kids will be there to.
we switch off for holidays. basically, it's who ever has a big enough house... lol. I've got thanksgiving this year and another cousin is taking on Christmas again. (muahahaha!!!)
cooking is shared by all. like for thanksgiving, I made a list of the "house holds"/adults, then I list things that need to be made, aka: turkey, salad, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, ect... then, I send out texts and make calls. some shuffling on who wants to make what and BOOM! dinner's fixed! easy-pesey. ;)

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I am still trying to picture the turkey in the microwave. WOW! That is definately one for the books.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Hmmmm . . . . . this just got me to thinking just how much things have changed.

When I was a kid, we always went to my Dad's side Grandparents house - although I only really remember having Thanksgiving there - not Easter or Christmas. Small family with a total of 10 people.

My Grandparents on my Mother's side were divorced and my Dad's and Mom's side of the family never mixed. Yeah, our was not a close family!!

After my Mother died, my sisters and I took turns with the holidays - which continues to this day.

When I got married my Father and Mother in law always hosted the holidays except my wife's Aunt always had Thanksgiving. When she got too old to do it, that stopped. My in laws continued to do it until they got too old and then we would take the food to them.

Now that Father-in-law is gone, and M-I-L lives with us, she travels with us as we go to my sister's.

Having 3 sister's works because between them and me we take turns. Each year one sibling gets the year off. This year we hosted Easter (which is now held at all church because our house is just too small for 12 people). My oldest sister has Thanksgiving and my next to oldest sister has Christmas. My youngest sister had the year off.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Mom was in her early 70's when it got to be too much. SIS and I continued to cook at Mom's house for 3 more years. Even that got to be too much for Mom. Switched to SIS house for next 15 yrs. Like many families, ours fell apart after Mom's passing.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
DH and I "got" the 4th of July when we moved to the farm and the in-laws moved to town. That was about 3 years in to our marriage. Slowly, we took over a holiday here and there until MIL stood at the bottom of the stairs one Christmas and said she was done. I believe that is the year I got a carving set....hmmmm....planned? I think so :) One SIL always offers but FIL doesn't like to drive or ride that far (2 hours). Last year we were gone so a different SIL had Thanksgiving when we got back on Sat and it was wonderful. Her son cooked the turkey on the grill YUM! He will be doing that again this year and bringing it here. FIL can get into our house but not SIL's house this year due to some health problems. My family didn't get the chance to "take over" Mom was just gone.... Now my family shares, DB gets Thanksgiving, DS gets Christmas and I take Easter which to us is Good Friday. I get all the holidays with the in-laws.

·
Registered
671 Posts
When I was growing up, my family always had 15ish person holiday gatherings at my house. My mom did all of the cooking. At this point, all but six of the people who would come over are deceased so we don't really get together anymore. I am one of the younger ones in an aging family.

My wife's family tends to have large gatherings for every holiday. Thanksgiving pushes 50+ and Christmas Eve/Christmas easily have 30. We have been going to her family holidays pretty routinely since we met 5 years ago.

We just had our first child back in September and I have always had my heart set on doing Christmas for our children at our house. I'm trying to figure out the logistics of doing that at this point. Her family lives 2.5 hours south and what's left of my family lives 2 hours east, so travelling around really isn't a realistic possibility. We tried to do something like that last year and it was so draining that it didn't feel like a holiday. Christmas is a very serious religious holiday for me, so it would really disappoint me to celebrate it with my child(ren) at someone else's house where the religious context won't be taken as seriously. Hoping to start celebrating it here this year, even if it is a small gathering :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts