Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we canned our Zucchini pickles today.

I know THEORETICALLY we could eat them right away...

but what is a good minimum time to infuse the spices (including the hot peppers we included in a couple of batches) throughout the brine?

We are DYING to try them.

·
Offgridkindaguy
792 Posts
I'd wait at least 2-3 weeks..
~Don

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
To be honest, I don't think you're going to get a definitive answer. Therefore, in the interest of science, you are obligated to perform an experiment.

Eat a pickle or three today, with your eyes closed and sound distractions minimized. Pay attention to flavor, overtones, lingering nuances, and the overall effect on your palate. Make notes.

Eat a pickle or three tomorrow, and the next day, and continue in this fashion until you have determined when peak pickle pleasure is achieved.

Report back to us.
Send us pickles.
You're welcome.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
turtlehead said:
To be honest, I don't think you're going to get a definitive answer. Therefore, in the interest of science, you are obligated to perform an experiment.

Eat a pickle or three today, with your eyes closed and sound distractions minimized. Pay attention to flavor, overtones, lingering nuances, and the overall effect on your palate. Make notes.

Eat a pickle or three tomorrow, and the next day, and continue in this fashion until you have determined when peak pickle pleasure is achieved.

Report back to us.
Send us pickles.
You're welcome.

Bob - I hope you made a LOT of them in order to complete the experiment. At three a day you might eat 'em all before they reach an optimum 'cure'.LOL I don't eat any of my cucumber pickles for 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
When I piclel the cucumbers for dill picles it said to wait for 6 weels for the brine to get through the picles.

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's my wife's fault... she couldn't wait.

She tried a pint (leftover can) today.

Pretty tasty. I am interested to see how much the time in the cans improves them.

I'll report back in a few weeks.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
ZYG,

Since your family exhibits no self control, ship em over here.

I'll let you know when they're ready;-)

RF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts