So what was present at you Christmas dinner?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by moopups, Dec 25, 2006.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I had a hot dog from the Pac & Sak on the way to the airport to feed the critters. Complete with packaged ketchup and sweet relish.

2. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

We had roast beef from the cow I raised, potatoes grown here and yellow beans grown in my garden, and of course nice warm rolls and gravy.
    Too full for anything else, but I made caramel cream pie, and goats milk fudge.
    I am toooo full to move.

3. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Turkey. Stuffing. "Favorite beans". Cloverleaf rolls. Green beans. Mashed potatoes and gravy. Sweet potatoes. Chocolate pie. Pecan pie. Pumpkin pie. Beer. Champagne. Coffee. Soda. I think that's about it.

4. Melissa

Melissa member

Beef roast with carrots and onions, mashed potatoes and gravy, rye bread with spinach dip and cranberry sauce. It was pretty good and plenty left for tomorrow too.

5. WendyW.

WendyW. Well-Known Member

We had crawfish fettucine, fried shrimp, bacon wrapped scallops, stuffed mushrooms, sausage/cheese balls and stromboli for the kids.

6. SandyB

SandyB AKA Southernbelle32

You ready??? We had a turkey, ham, 3 types of rolls, potato salad, mashed potatoes, fresh green beans, mac n cheese, 2 types of dressing.......dressing with giblets and dressing without, same with the gravy with and without giblets, brocolli and cheese, carrots in butter, sweet potatoe soufle, deviled eggs, cranberry sauce and stewed squash.

For dessert there was a butter nut cake, chocolate gooey butter cake, chocolate peanut butter pies, vanilla peanut butter pie and a franklin cake.

There could have been a few more things but that's all I can remember since my mom and I did most of the cooking and a couple aunts brought food also. We ended up having 36 people over for Christmas dinner today.

7. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

Fresh shredded goat tamales, black beans & rice and sopapias with flan for desert.

8. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

How does one make a sweet potato souffle? That sounds delicious!

9. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Christmas dinner included baked smoked ham from a local shop, scalloped potatoes, Brookville Hotel style corn, pistachio salad, dinner rolls, punch, and cupcakes for Jesus birthday remembrance.

The ham bone was with some meat still on it was cooked down and home style noodles were added for dinner the following day--having celebrated Christmas on Saturday.

10. SandyB

SandyB AKA Southernbelle32

I bake my sweet taters then peel them throw the tater in a bowl with a stick of butter, a little vanilla, 1 tsp of cinnamon, a few sprinkles of nut meg, a couple eggs and half a box of brown sugar or less if not wanted too sweet and mix them up real good and put a greased pan in a 350 oven for 30-45 minutes.

If I'm gonna just put marshmallows on top wait till it's done and then put about 3/4 bag on small marshmallows on top. But I normally make a second one which before putting in oven I mix together 1/4 cup flour, 1 cup coconut, a half stick butter and 1/2 cup chopped nuts, and spread on top. Then bake at 350 30-45 minutes. almost like a dessert but still with sweet tater taste. My family loves it with marshmallows and the rest of the family, me included likes it with coconut so I make two!!!

11. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Rice dressing, sweet potato casserole, potato casserole, brocoli rice, broc/cheese/chicken casserole, fried turkey, baked turkey, baked ham, mashed potatoes(have an aunt that lived up north for several decades and she makes them every holiday. Us cajuns don't really think it's right to have them at that tme, but we eat them for her enjoyment), gumbo, gooey dressing over rice, corn, crawfish cornbread, baked mac, stuffed mirliton.

I know I'm forgething a few things. Dessert was fruit salad, grandma's dessert(pecan shortbred crust, pudding, bananas and coolwhip with a few other things), bread pudding and eclare cake.

We tend to go all out. Everyone brings something(or three things). Our holidays consist of around 25-30 family members, four dogs and several other elderly people who have no family to go with for the holidays.

12. peacebaker

peacebaker Well-Known Member

Christmas eve dinner was an aweome tenderloin roast (a treat present to ourselves), plus sweet potato fries, homeade bread and a salad. Today was.....roast beef sandwiches, of course!

13. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

T-bones and ribeyes, baked potatoes, and salad. We had 'smores for dessert that we made with a present my dd made (an indoor smore maker).

The steaks were part of a christmas present for ourselves; a side of grass-fed beef to last for the next year. YUM!

Cindyc.

14. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

we do not spend a lot of time in the kitchen on Christmas.... we spend it enjoying family....

so I put corned beef/cabbage/carrots/onions/celery/potatoes in the crock pot... and pickled beets and sweet pickles on the side...oh... biscuits and honey too. All homegrown. (the beef was grown at someone elses home :) )

15. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Spiral cut brown sugar ham, homemade mac & cheese, mashed taters, gravy, rolls, green beans with bacon, cranberry sauce, pasta salad, and my SIL brought cake for dessert.

I did take a shortcut with the gravy (powder) since ham doesn't lend itself to making brown gravy :) and the cranberry sauce was canned whole berry, but everything else was "real." Evidently it was good 'cause there aren't too many leftovers!

16. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

We shared Christmas Dinner with dear friends and neighbors.

We had

Appetizers
    mozzarella rolls (with prosciutto and sundried tomato)
    pigs in blankets
    cheese
    crackers
    crab dip
    spinach dip

Dinner
    Roast Beef
    Roast Pork
    tossed green salad
    Oriental salad
    Corn Sesame Saute (I made this)
    Peas/onions/mushrooms (I made this, too)
    Home made bread (Yup, me)
    twice-baked potatoes

Dessert
    Marshmallow treats
    assorted cookies
    angel food cake with berries

Yes, this past weekend was a caloric disaster, because DS and his GF added to our Christmas Eve Feast by bringing home made Christmas Cookies, three different cheeses (including an incredible treble-cream brie), chocolates, and some very nice wines.

We never even got to the ice cream I picked up.

I gained three pounds over the past week, so EVERYTHING that was left over (and not nailed down) went into the freezer.

For New Year's, I think I will just go to bed early. Too many calories in staying awake! ;)

Pony!

17. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

mrs oz here :)

We had baked ham, chicken and dumplings, potato salad, sweet potato casserole, collards, brown rice, baked beans, mac n cheese, and rolls. All sorts of sweet things around for dessert.......Neiman Marcus cookies, Crunchy Fudge Sandwiches, Cherry Cream Cheese Pie, California Tarts, Brownies.......ugh! It was delicious!! But most of all.............there was love and the remembrance of my dad present at Christmas this year.

18. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

for breakfast I had one pancake and a spoonful of scrambled eggs, for lunch I had a salad. My mom made a salad bar. For dinner I had yogurt and a couple of crackers.

19. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

We do our Christmas on Christmas Eve and I served: Low Country Shrimp Boil, steam asparagus, crescent rolls and for dessert, guests could chose from: Strawberry short cake, brownies, cookies or cheese cake... It was wonderful to have all my children and their loved ones here....QB

20. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Our menu was: Seafood (crab/shrimp) stuffed and deep fried jalapeno peppers w/ranch dipping sauce, crab corn bisque, baked ham w/fresh pineapple, roasted turkey, salt crusted baked potatoes, cannied yams, rice dressing, sweet peas, German brussel sprouts, brocolli w/cheese sauce, yeast rolls, sun tea. Dessert was varity of homemade cookies, key lime pie, and baklava...we had 9 people. You see, neice and I are also from south Louisiana and we're use to everyone being there :)

Reauxman and Wendy reminded me that we usually have crawfish for dinner on Christmas Eve...the first of the season, I really miss the fresh seafood from South Louisiana.

Hugs
    marlene