Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The returning nurse..

Symptom free.
Locked away against her will and against the law.
Pooping in a plastic bag.
In an unheated tent, allowed only paper scrubs to wear.
Denied access to a lawyer until after she spoke to the media on Sunday.
No shower or way to bathe herself.
For the next 21 days.

Thoughts?

Definite loss of human rights, intrusion by big government etc..
It is an act of martial law without having the gumption to actually declare martial law.

Why the hideous, inhumane treatment?
Even convicted murderers get some heat and a shower and a chance to wash their faces.

But the people that come into her tent get to walk out and go home to their children. What's the point of it anyway?

And what if... ALL of the Americans in the West African nation decided to return all at once to make a point?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Agreed!!! The manner in which her quarantining was conducted was idiotic at best. I am not saying that it should not have been done, just the manner was idiotic.

But then there is this little tidbit.

Nurse Kaci Hickox's comments as reported by CNN:

"It is not a sound public health decision and well-thought out," Hickox said. "Many of the experts in the field have come out to agree with me. So I think that we need to stress the fact that we don't need politicians to make these kinds of decisions. We need public health experts to make these decisions."
And then there is the administration's comment as reported by CNN:

The White House seemed to agree with Hickox's sentiment that Christie doesn't have the medical authority to impose regulations that trump federal guidelines on handling Ebola patients.

For a moment there I thought that they were referring to Ron Klain, the recently appointed "Ebola Czar". But that can not be!!! Administration supporters approved his appointment (without having an iota of a medical background) by saying-

"that while Klain doesn't have a health care background, he does have both domestic policy and foreign policy assignments on his portfolio and both will come into play as the administration deals with Ebola."
A bit hypocritical I think.

TRellis

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,912 Posts
I think, New York and New Jersey, about the most population-dense parts of the US, would much rather trample on the rights of that one nurse than risk any type of panic setting in with their populations. They already caught Dr. Snyderman violating the "self quarantine", and the other Dr. who did come down with ebola and had been out galivanting around NYC before he became ill. Also, look at Cuomo and Christie, a couple of the more pompous, full of themselves, type of leaders.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I bet thousands of NY lawyers are drooling right now...

I'm waiting for the backlash from this that will make it ten times harder for any quarantine to be put into effect in this country.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The returning nurse..

Symptom free.
Locked away against her will and against the law.
Pooping in a plastic bag.
In an unheated tent, allowed only paper scrubs to wear.
Denied access to a lawyer until after she spoke to the media on Sunday.
No shower or way to bathe herself.
For the next 21 days.

Thoughts?

Definite loss of human rights, intrusion by big government etc..
It is an act of martial law without having the gumption to actually declare martial law.

Why the hideous, inhumane treatment?
Even convicted murderers get some heat and a shower and a chance to wash their faces.

But the people that come into her tent get to walk out and go home to their children. What's the point of it anyway?

And what if... ALL of the Americans in the West African nation decided to return all at once to make a point?
I quess I am behind. I didn't know all the details of her isolation. Very wrong. However, I do think we need something since medical professionals don't seem to know how to stay home for 21 days. If she had not been isolated I wonder if we would be reading headlines today about her escapades around town and who she might have contaminated.

·
Dallas
13,851 Posts
I am all for quarantining people who may have been exposed to ebola, but this was over the top. Before they are symptomatic they should be allowed to live in their own home. Anyone breaking that quarantine (going out for soup or bowling) must know they will be going to jail once the incubation period is over or when shown to be disease free. Automatic 60 days in jail, no appeal for breaking quarantine. And yes, while stuck in their homes the Red Cross should bring food if necessary (leave it outside the door) and they should get emergency unemployment checks for those 21 days if they are usually gainfully employed.

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Maybe the nurse should be mad at at her medical friends that haven't done the smartest things. Either medical education is missing some important training or the arrogance of the so called "professional" people is appalling.
Professional arrogance? What's that? Never heard of it. ;)

And I think it's both - arrogance and lax education.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The military is calling for a quarantine of troops returning from Liberia and some military returning from there are being held in Italy for 21 days. This makes sense to me but I have a feeling this thread is about to heat up. (ready with popcorn and :flameproofundies:)

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-o...ng-from-liberia-placed-in-isolation-in-italy/
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-quarantine-troops-returning-from-ebola-zone/
*Puts on foil-lined thinking cap*

So these troops. Just watched the WH press briefing and the dude behind the podium whose name I can't remember (press sec) says the majority of our troops who are over there are not even in a country with an outbreak. They're in Senegal building air bridges.

But they're being quarantined. (Which I think is smart.)

They can't catch it because they're not going to be exposed to direct contact with bodily fluids. They're not in direct contact with ebola victims.

But they're being quarantined. They've not been exposed.

They could ride on the bus next to people with ebola, according to the CDC, and they couldn't catch it.

But they're being quarantined for having been on the same continent.

I'm no good at math. I'm a writer. I have to have a calculator to do 2 + 2. But even my calculator can't make these numbers add up into something that makes sense. If they're not at risk, why are they being quarantined?

Does anyone else feel like they're reading a series of books and missed the installment that explains everything??? Yeah. Me, too. It's the book titled "The gov't is lying."

·
Registered
206 Posts
*Puts on foil-lined thinking cap*

So these troops. Just watched the WH press briefing and the dude behind the podium whose name I can't remember (press sec) says the majority of our troops who are over there are not even in a country with an outbreak. They're in Senegal building air bridges.

But they're being quarantined. (Which I think is smart.)

They can't catch it because they're not going to be exposed to direct contact with bodily fluids. They're not in direct contact with ebola victims.

But they're being quarantined. They've not been exposed.

They could ride on the bus next to people with ebola, according to the CDC, and they couldn't catch it.

But they're being quarantined for having been on the same continent.

I'm no good at math. I'm a writer. I have to have a calculator to do 2 + 2. But even my calculator can't make these numbers add up into something that makes sense. If they're not at risk, why are they being quarantined?

Does anyone else feel like they're reading a series of books and missed the installment that explains everything??? Yeah. Me, too. It's the book titled "The gov't is lying."
They're coming from Senegal? I hadn't heard that. That's nowhere near Liberia. I think you're right. Something doesn't add up here.

·
Registered
229 Posts
They're coming from Senegal? I hadn't heard that. That's nowhere near Liberia. I think you're right. Something doesn't add up here.
That's what the guy said. *shrugs* There is a LOT about this that doesn't add up, from the way things are being handled here, to the testing that's being done, to the treatment that's being given, to what we're being told about all of it. I know humans are not the most logically acting creatures in the world, but this is… unsettlingly disorganized. I'm now questioning pretty much everything I hear/see/read, trying to figure out what the truth is in the nice packaging.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I always thought that the military returning from Ebola countries would have to quarantined, I also agree with that, and I really do not think that they have a problem with it. What they may have a problem with is the present administration quarantining them and not others. I know that I would.

I also wanted to see the present administration squirm while trying to explain the difference between quarantining our military (who are not supposed to have contact with Ebola patients) and not quarantining returning doctors/nurses who did have contact with Ebola patients or any other individual who were there and are now trying to enter the U.S.

These latter are the biggest problem and yet there is no desire from the present administration to quarantine them. We are supposed to trust them when they tell us that they have been nowhere near Ebola victims. But even Tom Frieden, head of the CDC, is quoted as saying that "patients lie all the time". The Congressional hearing brought this quote to his attention and he did not deny having said it.

The present administration is such a joke. Do not believe them if they tell you that the liquid falling on your back is rain!

TRellis

·
free leonard peltier
2,315 Posts
The nurse that was quarantined is pissed.
I haven't seen concrete evidence that her gripes are for real about her conditions. Very well could be.. I don't know yet.

If it's true, I would think that hospital will be backtracking and making embarrassing adjustments to their procedures - much like the CDC has had to do from the get go. Just on the opposite extreme.

I'm with Molly McKee and sdnapier on some thoughts.. Gov Christie took are direct result of med professionals and reporters being stupid with their actions. Too bad but health care workers, while often noble and unselfish, are just people like the rest of us. They can make bad choices.

Let's be honest. Some of the people handling this nurse and her quarantine may have had the people skills and tact of the TSA. Then again, she could be the incredibly pompous idiot next to you at a restaurant tomorrow who treats the server like a less than human tool when griping about her dish not being perfect. :shrug: Just because she chose to go do some health work abroad in a bad situation doesn't mean she's a saint.

I don't think there is a perfect solution for our imperfect human population.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts