Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently signed a contract with a builder to do a major remodel of our home. Work will involve complete gut out to the studs of the majority of the home and addition of approx. 1,200 SF of additional space. When it's done, it should be pretty much like a brand new home.

It's a 120+ year old farm house that we have slowly remodeled ourselves over the last 30+ years, pay as you go, to get it into pretty nice condition. It's a good home as is, but we've never had a nice new home and after seeing some of the nicer homes of friends and acquaintances, we decided to do it. Tear down and start over or moving may well be cheaper, but this is the old farm house that's been in the family for a few generations and it has some pretty neat architectural features we want to save, primarily a huge fieldstone front porch. It's also on the best high ground site and sits amongst the other farm buildings.

Been retired a couple years and we're not going anywhere so have decided to make the place real nice for our final years here. Some of the major features will include:
  • A huge open kitchen with center island with the stove in it, walk in pantry, etc., open to a large living / dining space.
  • Gas fireplace in the central living area.
  • A big master bedroom big enough for a king bed with walk in closet and a master bath.
  • Walk in shower (no steps) in master bath.
  • Additional / larger bedroom spaces upstairs for the kids, grandkids and guests with a full bathroom up there. (we've always had one bathroom)
  • An extra half bath downstairs
  • Making everything old fart accessible, ramped sidewalk to front door, all 36" door openings, grab bars in restrooms and shower, etc.

Some not so fun but needed features include:
  • Some structural upgrades and new floor slabs in the basement (currently dirt floor).
  • All new windows, doors, siding and roofing.
  • Complete new (much better) insulation systems.
  • All new wiring and electric
  • All new plumbing
  • Relocating the well
  • Cutting down a couple huge trees

It's a big project and the biggest thing we've bitten off ever, but looking forward to it. Builder supposed to get started around 4/1, finished 10/1. Just bought a big camper we are going to set up tied to the nearby barn for temporary housing during construction. Things are already going fast, we're working on kitchen selections, appliances, etc.

Gonna be a busy summer.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
O nice good luck with your project 👍
Try to lock in your material cost with the builder .
Things can double and triple in a month .
2x4 can cost 275 or 10 bucks
OSB can be 8 bucks or 55 bucks ?
Wire 12/2 89bucks 169 .
Arrrrrr. It’s so aggravating I stopped doing large projects I just work on small little jobs now that I can finish in a few days .
Post some pics 😄

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I was hoping you weren't going to attempt to still live in a house being renovated...far too much noise, and contractors walking through. Congrats on your decision, here is to hoping for no delays !

The most I have ever tackled on my own is a brand new master bath that did not exist before (all new infrastructure), and a downstairs bathroom down-to-the-studs rebuild (all new infrastructure also). We are getting all new windows this Spring.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
46,130 Posts
Best wishes and good luck.

Unsolicited advice:
1. Do not try to lock in a materials price. The builder can't be obligated to that at this time. You would be setting up a no-win and no-profit situation for him.
2. Do not expect the start date to hold. DO NOT EXPECT THE COMPLETION DATE TO HOLD. They never ever do. Ever.
3. Seek always to understand FIRST, then express your thoughts respectfully so that you concerns can be understood.

·
Premium Member
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Best wishes and good luck.

Unsolicited advice:
1. Do not try to lock in a materials price. The builder can't be obligated to that at this time. You would be setting up a no-win and no-profit situation for him.
2. Do not expect the start date to hold. DO NOT EXPECT THE COMPLETION DATE TO HOLD. They never ever do. Ever.
3. Seek always to understand FIRST, then express your thoughts respectfully so that you concerns can be understood.
Thanks
#2 the schedule is the one area where I'm going to hold pretty firm on. I think we can make that happen if we make all of our decisions and purchases well ahead of time.
May even hang a little bonus $$ deal out there for hitting completion target.

I was a general contractor for 40 years and built many projects far bigger and more costly than this one. I've found that most construction horror stories are due to hiring low bid builders and subcontractors.

The builder I'm working with was selected not for price, but for their experience and track record of successful projects. I'm fairly confident we can pull this off, and will do my best to make this a pleasant experience for all parties.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
If you have people sitting around the island, I don't think I'd want the cook top there. I'm a clean housekeeper and my range is the nastiest thing in the house. I can clean it and the very next meal leaves a film of grease and or splashes or worse on the range, the wall behind, and the countertops next to it. Now imagine sitting next to that with your face and hands near the heat, etc. The sink would be fine but I'd never do a cook top on an island.

·
Premium Member
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have people sitting around the island, I don't think I'd want the cook top there. I'm a clean housekeeper and my range is the nastiest thing in the house. I can clean it and the very next meal leaves a film of grease and or splashes or worse on the range, the wall behind, and the countertops next to it. Now imagine sitting next to that with your face and hands near the heat, etc. The sink would be fine but I'd never do a cook top on an island.
It's a huge island approx. 12' x 4'. There will be bar stools on the side opposite the stove.

Construction got started April 1, most of the exterior demolition is complete, the crawl spaces have been excavated and they are getting ready to pour the first concrete.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good luck with the repairs, man. Really, I think you picked the wrong time. As far as I know, most material prices have gone up a lot. My friends had a similar situation during the crisis. They were going to do repairs and spent twice as much money. Now they say it's better to wait for it to smooth down. And I agree with them. Last year, though, I got lucky with bathroom renovation prices. The inflation must have been lower there. If you've decided to do a bathroom remodeling, Bathroom remodeling lafayette la will help you with that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts