Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 21st God and the hospital brought our son into the world. I went in for a stress test. The results werent ideal so we opted for an induction. 2 hours into the induction our baby's heart raye dropped during contractions and they decided to perform a c section.

I was terrified, i've never really had minor surgery let alone major. Thankfully all went well, and my recovery is goin very well.

Our son is beautiful, perfect. He weighed in at 5 lbs 12 oz. Suprisingly smaller then originally anticipated.

I think im starting to experience symptoms of post partum. I dont feel depresses or resentful of our child. when i think of him, and all it took to get him here. I feel so thankful i have to choke back the sensation. I've never really been one for sentiment and im experiencing a wave of emotion, worry, and gratitude i've never known. Does this feeling last forever?

·
Premium Member
25,278 Posts
That love at first sight feeling does fade when they become teenagers.

Congratulations on the new baby boy. I'm glad all went well and he is safe and healthy.

I wonder if the heart rate dropping is a result of the drugs they use to induce labor. My dd's heart rate dropped drastically too.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
congratulations! Give yourself time you will feel better after you get rested healed and if breast feeding you get that underway. And if you dont feel right about anything seek help no need to do any of this alone and afraid. Other than that you will have it all under control by his 21 birthday so just hang in there.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Congratulations!
And yes.. it's normal.
It is a mixture of the very powerful hormones that are necessary to bind you with the baby and terror.
Absolute terror.
I have never been terrified in my life as I was Simon's first year.
Our family motto was 'keep him alive!'
So far, so good for almost 12 years now. :)

And you know what.. it's ok to find yourself a little annoyed at times too.
But just take a big ol whiff of the top of his head and let the hormones bring you back around.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Congratulations! Your post partum problems could stem from low blood sugar. Make sure you are eating and eating healthy. You may need a mineral supplement for a while.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Congratulations. I would vote for yes, it's normal to a point.
Considering the chemical roller coaster your body has been on over the last 9+ months, I'd say you just need time to swing back to a new normal. Lots of firsts with babies - starting at conception through the birth and going forward. Things to keep in mind: eat properly, stay hydrated, sleep when the baby sleeps.
Welcome to the little guy!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Congratulations! And don't push yourself too hard. Take your time to heal and recover.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes, it's normal! Your hormones are still surging and now they're changing things up by helping you form a protective bond with your little one. Be prepared for new things to raise your alerts and fire up your Momma Bear mode. I was always sensitive to news stories about child abuse but since becoming a mother, they either sends me into sobs or blind rage.

Just cherish every little moment you have with that little guy. He thinks the world of you, and he always will.

T

·
0 Posts
Congratulations!

May you rediscover all the things you have lost in your growing up... Rediscover fascination with bugs and flowers, dust motes in sunshine and sprinklers in summer. All the things you got too busy to see - will again come into focus as he discovers the world around him! It is the most wonderful Second Chance you'll ever be gifted!

It all goes by so fast. One day you will miss grubby hand prints on the wall, laughter in another room, and a little hand on your arm with big eyes looking up at you...

But that's a couple years down the road yet.

Grab a nap whenever he naps. Drink your 8 glasses of water religiously, mark it down and make sure. Eat as well as you can.

Your surges sound like Maternal Instinct ramping up. In normal women, it is an overdose - it is intended to make less-than-attentive Mothers into acceptable Mommys. And in regular Moms it can be a bit much. You will learn to adjust your level over the next couple decades... LOL!

What did y'all name him?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Congratulations!

I"m not a parent, but from listening to my mother and sister speak of it, this sounds completely normal for a new mother to experience. You have all those hormones attempting to balance out, as well as your body attempting to heal/return to normal from both pregnancy and surgery. Be kind to yourself and patient. Make sure to take help when it's offered and if you start feeling overwhelmed, ASK FOR HELP.

That love at first sight feeling does fade when they become teenagers.
When we turned 12, my mother used to regularly threaten to kill us and just start over and make another kid that would look just like us!

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
My first was an adjustment. Anyone who even slowed me down in getting to the baby might have met their doom. Dh would try to help by offering to hold the crying baby (the baby needed to nurse) so I could finish my shower/food. I think I may have actually snarled at him over the very idea, lol.

I did have some birth trauma that was ugly to work through, and miraculously entirely separate from my baby. I was crazy about the baby, but the birth itself was very upsetting. I couldn't articulate what I was feeling until about two weeks after his birth. So. It happens to many women, and if it's you too, please find someone to talk to. A therapist can work wonders.

Stay home, rest. Keep people who annoy or anger you away for a few weeks. Just soak up your baby, eat well, and keep water beside you all the time. Don't do a single chore. Sleep when the baby does. All that good stuff.

My own boy is six now. It is amazing. I remember how I felt the moment I saw him, and as he has grown it has changed and matured in ways I couldn't have imagined then. That's your child. You have a spot in your heart that is entirely for him now.

And if you ever have another, your heart will grow more to make a space for him/her. I don't think we are ever going to stop worrying, but it is worth every bit of it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Congratulations! How wonderful! Do get as much rest as you can. I remember being overwhelmed because I did not sleep when the baby did, I did not eat when I should, did not drink when I should, and thought the house had to be spotless. What a mistake. I was so sleep deprived. Looking back, I would do just what everyone else has said. Just think of you and the baby. The rest will fall into place. If people want to come over and you are not up to it, just tell them so. You and the baby come first. Enjoy that little one.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
My DD is a flaming B when she has a baby. She has had two, both Ceasarian. This too shall pass.

Reactions: Breezy833

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for your advice, and good thoughts! We had our first wellness appointment and he is 3 oz over his birth weight. The doctor seemed pleased. It made me feel like i was doin things right.

Im glad to hear about your experiences too. I look foreward to getting to a "new" normal.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
congrats!!!!!!! yes I had crazy protective feelings and all feelings were ampt up a notch. Ok maybe more than just a tad.

Being a mom is the greatest thing but it is terrifying. I still have daymares on what if's. the boys are 12 and 14 and I will say the teen thing can make my eyes cross.

I had the postpartum depression when the boys were about 9 months. That said my dad died 3 weeks before I gave birth to a premie who stayed in the hospital for 3 weeks and then my mom had a brain tumor when my second son was 3 months. I decided two was enough even though I had originally wanted 4.

give yourself time to heal. Dh also had to start taking over the bills as I didn't have enough concentration to do it for the first 4 or so years.

My boys are the best thing my dh and I have done. I hope you have as good a time as I hope we keep having.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts