Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You simply can NOT make these things up..plus, I have Arcticow as a witness...

Started at 11AM, finished at a few minutes before 1...we stood up, shook hands all around, and saw the sellers leaving the office right next to ours..they were headed out the door..

THEIR real estate agent stopped me in the hall and said..." The sellers are going over to the house to use the bathroom, they have a key and will leave it in the mailbox."

WHAT?????????????????????????? said I...

She clarified: "Well, the old man has a problem and he doesn't like to use public restrooms, so I told them they could use the bathroom at the house..they'll only be a minute or two." and she left ..

John is to be commended for keeping me from committing a felony.

We drove to the new house to find a man in his 90's with a cane tottering up the front steps ...his grand-daughter was right behind him and had a CATHETER in her hand...a catheter...she waved the catheter at me and said, "Oh hi, You all can go ahead and come in..he just has to use this in the bathroom. Do you want the keys now or should I leave them in the mailbox?"

At closing, we were given a set of keys..this gal had another full set of keys..

I told her that we'd take the keys now, and I really didn't want to be in the house when a strange man I never met was in MY bathroom with a catheter..

30 minutes later, they left.

I was livid..and still am..called the Real Estate company owner/broker..he was genuinely horrified..the agent called me today to apologize..she said " I am sorry that you were upset. The man had a problem and I offered him the house. It was not the right thing to do.." I said, thank you. It wasn't. Why didn't you even think to ASK us, since we just closed on the house?" Her reply? ....are you ready..."I didn't think it was a big deal . He had to go to the bathroom. he didn't want to use the public restroom."

I suggested that she could have taken him to her home..she said she wouldn't have minded a bit....so much for remorse..LOL..

Have you ever heard of such a thing? I've never met such an unprofessional person in my life.

Oh..and the folks had driven up from Texas..the house has been vacant for months...it's not as if they left it last week ...even so it wouldn't have been right but at least more understandable that they ask to use it..

·
mean people suck
2,532 Posts
Thank goodness you won't have to deal with them anymore!! Congratulations!! :)

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Actually I would not have minded him using the bathroom. I wouldn't begrudge an elderly person the opportunity to use the facilities. Anyone who is in their 90 ' s and can totter to the bathroom has my utmost admiration. It would be the least I could do for old man.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
The agent should have run it by you, but if it were me, I don't think I would have been too upset by it. The poor old soul had to use it, and obviously has some issues, so I think some mercy was in order. This act of kindness on your part really IS a great way to start your life together in your new house. It only took 30 mins, and you have the rest of your life now for this bathroom and this home to be YOURS.
This may have been an irritation to you today, but it will be someday be a funny story on down the line that you'll share with others. You'll probably even laugh about it!

Now go and enjoy, relax, have fun, make memories in that wonderful new house you guys!:sing:

·
newfieannie
9,631 Posts
it was unprofessional for sure but what I'm thinking is he was probably a little ways from where he moved and wanted to use his own place where he was familiar with it(although it wasn't his any longer) I have had to deal with this several times. Andrew only wanted to go to his own bathroom for stuff like that. and the ones I take around would rather go in their diapers then use another washroom. what I'm wondering though is why couldn't he use the washroom at the real estate office? he was right there. jmo ~Georgia

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
The agent should have asked for sure, but yeah, I would have let the old man relieve himself. Some folks just don't like to go to strange bathrooms. It makes them uncomfortable. The nearest shrub that provides enough privacy works for me, but I do need a big/mucho grande shrub.

On the plus side of things, it will make a great story to tell at your house warming party.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I would not have minded him using the bathroom. I wouldn't begrudge an elderly person the opportunity to use the facilities. Anyone who is in their 90 ' s and can totter to the bathroom has my utmost admiration. It would be the least I could do for old man.
There was a perfectly good bathroom in the title company office..he tottered right past that one, down the ramp and into their car ..he didn't "like" using a public restroom..!!

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
So, what did the old man hold it all the way from Texas? The grand daughter should have taken him before the closing. It was bizarre that the agent agreed without consulting new owners.
One of these days this story will seem much funnier than it does now.

Reactions: handymama

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
It helps that we didn't have nuns with rulers at school. But we had some genteel southern ladies who knew how to use paddles. I hated it when they named their paddles.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
No sorry they should not have asked in the first place! Period. So do you think on another trip and pass the house they will stop in to pee? I too would have been livid. I even would have demanded that the real estate office pay for the house to be cleaned!

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
So, what did the old man hold it all the way from Texas?
I guess with a catheter he did not nor could not hold anything. It should have been "bagging itself" during the whole closing. Now think on that as your lay your head down to rest Lesley. That guy was relieving himself while you and your beloved were within ... a certain distance. Not saying what that distance was. But you were within range. Count your blessings.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No sorry they should not have asked in the first place! Period. So do you think on another trip and pass the house they will stop in to pee? I too would have been livid. I even would have demanded that the real estate office pay for the house to be cleaned!
It was simply gross ..instead of John and I going into our new home, we sat in the drive picturing an old fellow ..a catheter...our bathroom...eeeeeewwwww...
brain bleach.

·
newfieannie
9,631 Posts
oh sorry Lesley! I thought it had been his house. what do I know? I'm beat from climbing up and down a ladder all day. ~Georgia.

·
newfieannie
9,631 Posts
yes, it had been bagging itself. it was probably full and she was likely going in with him to empty and clean it. jmo. ~Georgia.

·
Premium Member
7,030 Posts
Lends new meaning to the term "backwards" doesn't it?

And why are so many MEN so particular about going to the potty away from home, when it's WOMEN who HAVE to sit down?

Mon

Reactions: AngieM2
1 - 20 of 73 Posts