So tell me...

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by dosthouhavemilk, Mar 18, 2005.

1. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Which ankle did Sidsel break when she was 6 months old? ;) :D

[​IMG]

I was out getting shots of dams for three bull calves headed out to be raised as breeding bulls and I was just pleased as punch with this shot of Sidsel. She is 3/4 Jersey, 1/4 Norwegian Red. Her dam is a 1/2 and 1/2 and her sire is Olympian (7J536, I think).

The answer is, she broke her right rear ankle when she was 6 months. WE dished out the money to have it casted and worked with her. She settled first service to Brigadier (our last straw) and had a healthy bull calf on 2/8/05. We tested yesterday and she is giving around 50 pounds a day.

2. SkyOne

SkyOne Active Member

Nice looking girl you have there. She is a little heavier in build then my Jerseys but would fit right in my herd easily :haha: Sky

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Her dam is a moose but nowhere near the size of Ilse (our other half and half). Her mother looks like a Holstein and produces like one, too. We taped Elisif (first calf heifer) at around 1100 pounds I think it was. Big! She isn't even three years old yet.

The Norwegian Reds have put some size on these girls.
    I can not wait to see what the Classifier is going to do with our 3/4 Jersey, 1/4 Norwegian Red first calf heifers this May. The last one just about refused to even classify them. :no: We paid the money to identify them through AJCA we better well get them classified. lol
    Only the twins were in milk last time. Classified at 74 and 76 I believe. These heifers are coming in and just dazzling us. The SCC are so miniscule. Amistad was at 0.0% of the tank count.

The stanchions have had a rough winter with these larger hefiers in them.

4. SkyOne

SkyOne Active Member

Really enjoyed your website. I love seeing what others are doing. Nice looking herd. I would like a goat but if you knew what I went through when I brought home the first Jersey you would know why I don't have one. :haha: Jerseys were not classifed as cattle in my hubby thinking. Since then he sold his beef cows except the little Santa Gertrudis I brought home to raise on the Jersey. He is improving the barn and pasture and is going to enlarge "his" Jersey herd. I've not been milking the cows unless there is a space between weaning and purchasing another calf. He is hooked on the milk. The calves I sell are sales toppers and this has highly impressed him. Plus the fact that I get two or more calves a year for sale rather then one as his beefers were giving. He even learned how to milk the Jerseys, never thought I'd see that day. He is so proud to show off "his" cows now. Calls them up and leads them around when we have company. He couldn't do that with his last herd. They could be called up but you didn't walk up and lean on them much less lead them anywhere. Being we are almost at retiring age I'm grateful for that first Jersey. She taught him what a cow oughta be like. His only complaint is that compare to what he was used to the Jerseys are small cows. It's a shame you are so far away. Sky