So, talk to me about Nigie bucks...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jen74145, Jan 6, 2007.

1. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

At first, I thought I did not want to keep my own buck. However, between my concerns about illness and parasites, the logistics of getting the doe to her "suitor" with no advance warning, and what little I've found describing Nigie bucks... I'm thinking of keeping one.

I have heard they are more easily dealt with than the larger breeds; of course, they are so small that could just translate to "not likely to actually kill you". I know with ram lambs you do not want to make pets out of them, is it the same for Nigie bucks?

2. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Well.....I have a yearling buck who even during rut was like a puppy dog. He is in the barn right now running loose but is so good tempered (tiny also). I have never really had a problem with any of my bucks being mean tempered. But my little Jack Jack reminds me of a puppy...he comes to his name (cracks me up!) and all in all has the best temperment. I also love my Mini Mancha boy (half la mancha / half nigerian). He to has a great temperment and he is coming up on 1 1/2 years old.

I think with any buck you need to be careful when they are in rut no matter how small but in my experiance with nigerian bucks I have been around they are really good tempered and easy to handle. So yep if you can have a place for a buck and his whether friend I say go for it. Just remember they do STINK :p !

MotherClucker

3. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

I know... yet I was around a NASTY, yellow-faced Boer buck this weekend, and I didn't notice a thing. Shocked the life out of me, from what I've read, women especially tend to despise the smell. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones... or not, I may forget I have "buck clothes" on and head to the grocery... eeewww....lol.

What you've told me is what I've been thinking.... respect, but really, no worries... yes?

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I love my bucks!

I have 2 Alpines and a Nigie. The worst they do is want to be patted and loved when they STINK to high heaven!

My son keeps them at bay with yells, threats and an outstretched foot! They look so hurt and confused!

5. Oldntimes

Oldntimes Well-Known Member

I raise Nigerians. I have a young buck as well as an older Buck. They both behave very well while in Rut. Even though the older one is small, he is a power house!!!, but yet still redpects me. I also got him when he was older so it was not like he was just used to me from weaning. They are strong, but never had one try to charge or butt me. I personally do not allow any disrespect from my animals. However I do know evey animal is different and the bigger the harder some may be to handle. Always be causious exspecialy
    when in rut. even if you come across a rowdy buck in rutt please beaware of your standz and it does not make it a nasty buck they are just out for one think.
    I do love my Nigerians all though when I had Nubians the Buck was just as gentle in rutt.

Colleen

6. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Any animal that makes trouble for me is gone. My ND buck trio are the nicest, well behaved gentleman, in or out of rut. All I need to do when I want to use one is open the gate, call the one I need and he will trot up to the doe pen and wait for me to bring out his date. On the other hand I had a buck I leased and he was just overbearing. He didn't realize his strength and would plow me over with affection. And ram me when he got near a doe in heat. He was terrible for breeding, made worse by his enormous size. I ended up with badly bruised ribs. This guy was the exception. In most cases nigie size alone makes dealing with bucks generally easy.

7. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

My Nigie buck is pretty easy to handle. I can put a collar on him and lead him quite easily, tie him up to trim his hooves. If he does get a little bit "uppity", I just flip him onto his back and hold him there for a few seconds. Calms him right down!

Yeah, he's stinky, but I try to make a point of fussing over him now and then - but no kisses! (he tries)

8. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

My bucks are nice as well. Nigies and mini lamanchas. Also, the boers we've seen were good boys too, altho they are quite large, so can be "destructive" due to their size. All my boys are easily contained and love attention, very easy to work with as well. We did have one ND buck tho, we bought as a 3 y.o. and he was aggressive when does were in season, but not to us, but to his pen mates, he was a terrible fighter, and my husband let him slip away once and the darn buck went to ram his buck pen mate and I was in front of the other buck to clip his lead on to take him out to the doe and I'm the one that got hit. Hurt like he!!. So if you get one like that, you do have to take precautions, but my other boys are better mannered, but I've had them since kid-hood.

9. dap

dap lilsparrow

I've had my 2yo Nigerian buck since May and he is a doll. We went thru the rut season with him this summer and absolutely no problems. I took his pen mate away from him in Sept; a month before she delivered his twins and am waiting for the buckling (now a wether) to get big enough to move in the pen with him. He is really lonely all alone and still cries all day long if I don't bring out the mommy and kids where he can see them during the day...She has been in heat twice now since the kids were born and still no problems. He doesn't try to jump the fence and hasn't shown any kind of aggressive behavior during her heats.

10. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I've had Nigerian, Mini-Mancha and Mini-Ober bucks, and none of them has ever given me the tiniest bit of attitude.

11. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    My LaMancha buck is the sweetest boy even in rut :)